The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet Woodruff

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Sweet pototoe corn chowder| Next thread: Sweet Woodruff »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 02:02 AM
I'm probably just impatient. But can anyone tell me when mine will bloom? The patch has gotten about 8 times larger than it was when I planted it and it looks healthy. So now I want to see if it really does smell as good as it's suppose to.

-
 -
by netwiz on July 30, 2006 02:21 AM
Hi Tk,

Mine bloomed in the spring. Tiny little white flowers that really did have a wonderful smell. Mine are in a spot that now gets a little too much sun and need to be transplanted. Have any idea how to replant something that grows in a clump like this? I'm not sure how to get all the roots covered without separating each little stem... what a time consuming pain THAT would be!

Joanne
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 04:00 AM
I have no idea. Hum, mine didn't bloom in the spring. Maybe the clump was to small then or they were recovering from transplant shock cause that's when I bought and transplanted them. So maybe next year.

Mine gets all afternoon sun but I water them really well everymorning and they are growing very well and very green. So maybe you don't haved to transplant. What do you think?

And I agree transplanting would be quite an adventure.

-
 -
by netwiz on July 30, 2006 04:22 AM
The area they are growing is on a very sunny slope that has been over run with weeds and poison ivy. I'm hoping to save some of the sweet woodruff before blasting the slope with brush-b-gone. I hope to use creeping thyme for a new ground cover to crowd out the extreme amount of weeds we seem to get there. I think the previous owners were trying to accomplish the same thing with the sweet woodruff but it doesn't seem too happy there. I will have to transplant or just buy new plants to put in my shadier areas. I really love the sweet smell!

Joanne
by patches1414 on July 30, 2006 09:13 AM
My Sweet Woodruff bloomed nicely this spring and spread to send up new plants. [clappy] When they got a little bigger I just dug them up and put them in pots with Pro-Mix to allow them to develop a good root system and get established. Then I planted them where I wanted and they are doing well. [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tkhooper on August 01, 2006 03:57 AM
my sweet woodruff is running into another ground cover that is taller and I think a bit more agressive. So I will definitely be transplanting something lol. The agressive one is easy just put it up and plunk it where I want it. It has pretty pink flowers and is about 6 inches tall.

Thanks for the information. And I hope you can save what sweet woodruff you have. I would definitely try to dig around it and then pull it up as if it were sod. You should save some of it anyway.

-
 -
by netwiz on August 01, 2006 02:10 PM
I tried digging some up and found out there is a 3" layer of landscape rocks between the sweet woodruff and the actual dirt. The roots seem to have grown through the rocks to get to the soil but didn't get very deep. I'll just have to do my best with transplanting them.

What is the other ground cover you have growing Tk? I'm still looking for alternatives for some hard to grow areas.

Joanne
by patches1414 on August 01, 2006 05:17 PM
TK, I'm also interested in knowing about the ground cover with the pretty pink flowers. I'm always interested in any flowers that are pink. Are they planted in the shade? [dunno]

Oh, Joanne, I really feel for you. [Frown] I've run into that problem with the rock before and with our clay soil it almost sets up like concrete. [Eek!]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by netwiz on August 02, 2006 01:06 AM
Concrete is EXACTLY what this #$@! "dirt" is like. I have so many wonderful plans but then it takes me a month just to remove the rocks, dig up the clay and amend the soil... in a little bed no less. At this rate it will be ten years just to finish the existing flower beds. [Eek!] Sorry for the rant. My husband has already learned not to use the word "clay" around me [Razz]

I'll be good now [angel]

Joanne
by tkhooper on August 02, 2006 06:48 AM
I have no clue what this ground cover is called. My neighbor gave it to me. At her place it's in semi-shade. In mine it's in afternoon sun. What I can do after I get some more postage is dig up a little clump and send it to you. It wilts something awful with transplant shock but it does recover after a couple of days if you baby it with water. But it's a fast spreader. And considering it's growing in mostly rock with some sand I don't think you'll have a problem with it.

Let me know if you want some and once the heat wave passes I'll ship some to you.

I also have a succulent-like ground cover that produces a yellow flower in late spring that is very pretty. It also lives in the same area as the other two. But it's not as fast growing as the pink.

You can always sound off about clay around me. I know exactly how you feel. Hopefully the next place I live I'll have a nicer spot to garden.

-
 -
by netwiz on August 02, 2006 06:58 AM
Thanks for the offer Tk! I would be happy to reimburse you for the postage. Send me a PM when the weather gets a little better and we can work out the details. I have several plants for trade in the seeds exchange also if you are interested in a trade. Let me know!

Joanne
by patches1414 on August 11, 2006 10:05 AM
Tammy, did you ever find out what the ground cover with the pretty pink flowers is? [dunno]

-
 -
by tkhooper on August 11, 2006 11:59 AM
No I don't know what it's called but I'm going to send some to Joanne. If you would like I can send some to you too for postage.

It has stopped flowering so I will probably send it in the next day or two since the weather has cooled off.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sweet pototoe corn chowder| Next thread: Sweet Woodruff »
Back to Thread index