The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet pototoe corn chowder

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: sweet potatoes| Next thread: Sweet Woodruff »
Back to Thread index
by moondance on October 24, 2005 04:33 AM
Okay Merme here is the requested receipe. I don't have any set amount because I usually cook eyballing it. Anyhow:

3-4 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
1-2 cloves of garlig also peeled and diced
Place these in a large pan and cover with chicken broth, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook until tender.
When tender-mash until almost lump free don"t drain!
Add a large can of corn-sometimes I drain this and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I use creamed corn, sometimes I don't.
Add a couple handfuls of ham chucks. I can buy a package already shopped up at the grocery store-I usually just cut them smaller.
Mis this all together and then add either, milk or half and half (our favorite) till it looks good. By that I just add milk until it looks thin enough. Remember I said that I don't measure!
I will also add some chopped thyme in the end. Sometimes I add salt but not to much.
Preety basic but it is sooo good.
by afgreyparrot on October 24, 2005 05:14 AM
That sounds YUMMY! [grin]

Moondance, you write a recipe the same way I would have to!
quote:
Add a large can of corn-sometimes I drain this and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I use creamed corn, sometimes I don't.

[Big Grin]
I may have to post my "World's Greatest Chicken" recipe now... [grin]
...especially since YOU like CHICKEN! [Big Grin]  - [Big Grin] [lala]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Merme on October 24, 2005 06:30 AM
Wa-ay to go, Moondance!

What a terrific recipe ~ and afgrey is right: it sounds so YUMMY!

I will definitely try this in the next few days as our weather is continuing to be so foul.

Thanks for posting it so quickly! You are the best!

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by moondance on October 24, 2005 11:07 AM
I made this tonight and I eyeballed the half and half and it is about a half a cup. I do play with this receipe ya know I mean I like a couple of shots of tabasco but Tess doesn't like it. But it is a good basic receipe to play around with.
by 4Ruddy on October 30, 2005 03:11 PM
Anything with sweet potaoes has to be good! I love this time of year because of the sweet tators & pumpkin recipes!!! Such great comfort food! I'm trying this one for sure! Thaks for postin it!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sweet potatoes| Next thread: Sweet Woodruff »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: