The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

purple or silver

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: purple,macron,and hardy| Next thread: purple or wandering jew »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on July 15, 2004 06:18 PM
Hello! I would like to know of some plants that are purple in color or silver or whatever something different then the usual kinds? Like to add some color to my garden next year?
by dot on July 15, 2004 07:32 PM
Hi...
I found one this year that is very pretty. It's called "Purple Lady Iresine". That's right off the tag! I purchased 2 of them on sale (as usual!) and they have done very well in partial shade. The color is deep purple, almost a burgundy, and the tag says they may trail up to 4', but mine are young so [dunno] .

Good luck in your search!
by lilitu on July 16, 2004 12:19 AM
I have some relaly pretty waffle plants-their leaves are crinkly-a gorgeous deep green on top and purple underneath. They have small white flowers that shoot up.
PURPLE FLOWERS:
Delphiniums bloom summer-autumn, You could use Lobelia as edging-teeny little purple blossoms,
Irises of course, grape hyacinth, Morning glories, wisteria, asters, my dad's hostas have lavender blossoms coming up out of the center- they look really nice, balloon flowers, Toad lilies, all kinds of lavender-many have silvery foliage, different types of sage have purple blossoms- and tricolor sage has purpley silver foliage also. Purple & white blooming butterfly bushes [Smile]
Lamb's ears are nice and silvery. Chinese bush Cherry just looks cool....Sorry....I'm rambling [Embarrassed]
Hope I was of some help- I know a lot of these are sort of basic-at least where I live.
by ladystressout on July 16, 2004 04:53 PM
Thank you gardeners never knew their were so many plants or flowers that are purple? Have to check them all out and see if I like any of them? Bye and remember keep those hands of yours dirty!!
by Cricket on July 17, 2004 02:04 AM
Some pretty purple plants you might consider are spiderwort or persian shield (foliage) which I love with silver dusty miller or lamb's ear.
by ladystressout on July 17, 2004 08:51 PM
Cricket that sounds so neat persian shield and silver dusty miller? I got some dusty miller that a garderner buddy send to me and persian shield sounds real pretty together? Where did you get the persian shield from? Remember keep those hands of yours dirty bye
by frustratedattimes on July 17, 2004 11:29 PM
I have Mona Lavender in my flower beds, it is a deep purple plant with lighter purple blossoms. I also have two Purple Palace Coral Bells, the blooms are kinda insignificant, it is the plant that is very attractive. I also have Hardy Dwarf Asters that bloom a lavender color. Then I found my pride and joy, I love roses, and I found a Blue Girl rose, blooms a light lavender almost blue. The Butterfly bushes come in a variety of purple colors from light lavender to an almost black purple.

Hope some of this helps.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by frustratedattimes on July 18, 2004 03:55 PM
OK, so I must correct myself,,,, see embarassed. The Mona Lavender are a dark green plant,, real dark, with purple flowers. [Embarrassed] .

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Cricket on July 18, 2004 11:49 PM
I bought my Persian Shield at a local (Vancouver Island) garden center where they appear to be very popular this year. This is the first year I have seen them. They are a fast growing deep purple with carmine markings foliage plant that apparently require partial sun to shade, although mine seems to be loving full sun. Because I read that they are a tender perennial (zone 9 and warmer), I have planted mine in a pot so I can overwinter indoors - I'm in zone 8. Don't forget to keep the soil moist and good luck!
by ladystressout on July 20, 2004 07:57 PM
Hey! frustratedattimes do you have any hardy dwarf asters seeds to share with me? Sure would like to grow some in my flower bed next spring?Bye and remember keep those hands of yours dirty!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: purple,macron,and hardy| Next thread: purple or wandering jew »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: