The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Looking for suggestions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on June 06, 2006 11:08 PM
Hi all.

My friend moved into a new house a few years ago and is now wanting to do something about the yards.

The back yard is mostly shade due to some very large trees and bushes. And I don't think she is going to be able to get rid of them any time soon. It will get a few hours of mid-morning sun.

She likes all colors especially White, Purple, and Yellow. And since she is a new gardener with a new baby we are looking for easy care and drought tolerant.

The last owner was a gardener and the soil is still in amazing shape. I wish my soil was that good.

So far she likes

Iresine
Delphinium
Ballon Flower
Veronica

Can you please add to the list some?

-
 -
by Fernie on June 07, 2006 03:41 AM
These are all in my shade garden

Hosta (Plantation Lily)not much for flowers but some amazing foliage
Astilbe (comes in at least 3 or 4 different colors)
Bleeding Heart
Lupine

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by JAKE on June 07, 2006 04:06 AM
I have some primroses in a shady area of my garden under huge evergreen trees - they come in all sorts of colors incl yellow.
Also try yellow loosestrife - has small yellow flowers - this is in the same area, only with a bit more sun.
Catmint will grow just about anywhere - and has purple flowers.
Good luck!

-
by netty on June 07, 2006 07:49 AM
How about Jacobs Ladder and Ligularia

-
 -
by tkhooper on June 08, 2006 09:03 AM
Thank you for the suggestions.

-
 -
by joclyn on June 09, 2006 05:37 AM
hydrangea love shade. also some clematis would do well in the conditions she's got in her yard.

ferns do well in shade. hosta's. there's a viney/ground cover that is has yellow leaves - can't think of the name of it right now tho...

there are a large variety of geranium - some do well in shade, all of them flower (come in reds, whites, pink, purples) and some have variegated leaves - i've got one with yellow/green/white leaves that has a pink flower. i'll get the name of it for you when i go home tonight.

some peony's do okay in shade - they come in bushes as well as trees. colors are pinks, reds purples, whites. i think there might even be yellows too.

Active Garden Forum