The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

walmart cactus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Wallpaper Photos!| Next thread: Walnut tree.......bark disease? »
Back to Thread index
by daygotee71 on July 09, 2006 05:01 PM
I was reading Raine's message about the cactus bought from Walmart. I have also purchased the same kind of cactus. And for a year i thought the flower on top was a real flower. LOL. It started to take a turn for the worse and thought it was just about dead. But now i have this skinny little arm growing out of the side. Just one. There's not one on the other side. Will it grow one on the other side? I also was wondering if you can cut this arm off to repot it to another pot,being the main big piece isn't doing to well. Help anyone? I can take a picture of it tomorrow and post it to show what its doing. [dunno]
by margaret e. pell on July 09, 2006 05:34 PM
First, get the glued on flower gently off the growth point. Plants are not necessarilly(sp?) simetrical(sp? [grin] I'm awful at spelling!). It may or may not grow another branch on the other side. How much sun does it get? Do you turn the plant or does one side always get the sun and the other shadow? Let's work on getting the whole plant in shape before you start cutting it up. Talk about its sun exposure, soil composition, kind of pot, and your watering schedule.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by daygotee71 on July 09, 2006 06:02 PM
Oh i already took off that flower a few years ago. It does get some sun, and i do turn it. Once or twice a month of watering it gets. Its in a clay small pot. The side the arm grew on was not in the sun.
by margaret e. pell on July 09, 2006 06:33 PM
Good for you! It wants more than 'some' sun. It wants LOTS of sun. Watering cacti has SO MANY variables. Yours might want a bit more in the summer if you get it in the sun. I have all of mine in clay pots sized to what looks right to a little small for what's above the ground. I have them in very quickly draining soil and water them almost every week. They all get as much sun as I can give them. NY has cloudy, hazy summers, so some of them are under lights all year long. Interesting that it branched on the side away from the sun. Since you turn it (that's good!) it may have started the branch node when that side was in the sun. I'm not an expert, I'm just a hobiest; all I can tell you is what I would do if the plant was mine, you apply your own situation and go from there. I would give it significantly more sun than what it gets. Phase it in over 2 weeks. I would give it NO plant food for at least a month. I'd put it in an unglazed terracotta pot with quickly draining soil. I'd keep an eye on the branch. I had an ugly columnar cactus with an arm 2 years ago and I tipped the pot so the branch would grow straight up without the bend to meet the trunk. Plants are slow. Don't expect changes overnight. You're heading for what to do in September. You've had this plant for some number of years, you say. What changed? Why the down turn now?

-

by daygotee71 on July 11, 2006 09:15 PM
I have had the cactus for around 2 years. And i think what happened was my mom has been caring for all my plants due to my illness. And she had it out on the porch during winter, which gets no heat, and here in kentucky it would get down in the 20s i'd say. So i think around the beginning of spring we noticed it being a bit unhealthy like it was a goner. Then about 2 mos later, there this piece as thin as lets say spaghetti, started to grow out of it. And now its pretty tall, but still a skinny little thing. lol. It is in a terracotta pot, and she doesn't let it get too much water. Being she does know some on plants. She's pulled my deathly hobby plants back to life. When they were so knocking on plant heavens door. LOL. So i am not sure whats gotten to the darn thing. I appreciate some helpful ideas, and will keep ya posted on what i can find out by process of elimanation.

Theresa
by margaret e. pell on July 12, 2006 05:24 PM
Some cacti can take considerable frost, some die if it gets below ~40. My guess is still that yours wants significantly more sun. Long, skinny growth is called etiolation and is a sign of insufficient light. Your illness, my goodness! I hope you're ok. Even on this forum, you are much more important than your cactus! My best to both of you [Wink]

-

by daygotee71 on July 16, 2006 06:44 PM
Well what do i do about this skinny lil arm? lol. Cause it sure is a pathetic looking thing.
As for my illness (cancer)no, not to well. But i'm just thankful to be here. I was given 6 to 12 mos and that was 2 1/2 years ago. So i just live day by day. I keep fighting it for my kids sake. Thats all anyone can do is fight. I don't let it get me depressed, cause like i said, i'm thankful to still be here. Life is precious, take it one day at a time. Chose wisely, enjoy life like theres no tomorrow. I'm rambling on, so i will stop for now. LOL.

God Bless.
by margaret e. pell on July 17, 2006 05:11 PM
Touch a person, find a story. I'm thankful you're here, too. Keep fighting. As to your cactus, all I know to do is give it as much sun as you can and see what happens next. The skinny growth won't fill out. It's up to you if you want to take it off, leave it, root it... You're basically doing everything right or the main stem wouldn't have put out the branch, it just needs more sun.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Wallpaper Photos!| Next thread: Walnut tree.......bark disease? »
Back to Thread index