The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tall aloe w/no babies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by StacyH on April 04, 2006 12:47 PM
HI all, I'm new to the group. I have had my aloe plant since last year and it has grown to the point it is leaning over. It has yet to produce one baby. I had an aloe a few years ago that shot them off like crazy. Should I cut off the top? If I do, can I root it somehow to make another plant? Any help is appreciated.

Stacy
by patches1414 on April 04, 2006 01:30 PM
Hi Stacy! [wavey]

Welcome to the Forum! I don't think cutting off the top will do any good. I've never had to deal with that because all the aloe plants I've ever had have multiplied like rabbits. [Big Grin] It's so nice to meet you and you're going to love [Love] this site!

Have a beautiful day! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by penny in ontario on April 04, 2006 10:53 PM
[wavey] hi there,

welcome to the forum...

nice to meet you [thumb]
enjoy [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -

-
by StacyH on April 05, 2006 06:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I do have it in a root bound pot. I was thinking, I have it in regular potting mix. Since I have known, my Mom has always kept the aloe in reg potting mix. Should I change it? It's driving me crazy that's it so huge but no babies. lol.

Stacy
by margaret e. pell on April 07, 2006 02:28 AM
Aloe vera (there are about 450 species of aloe) comes in 2 forms, one gets quite large with very thick, dark green leaves, and almost never offsets, the other stays shorter, has light green spotted leaves, and offsets heavily. Maybe you have the first type. However, if it's starting to lean over, something else is going on. Either it's not an aloe vera or it's not getting enough sun. How many hours of direct sunlight a day does it get?

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by StacyH on April 10, 2006 10:37 AM
It is an aloe, no doubt and it is by a window. It doesn't get direct light but it does get light all day. It does have big thick leaves but I had one of those before that my Mom brought up from Florida and it shot off babies. Unfortuantly my roommate killed it while I was in the hospital. It's leaning I'm sure because of the weight because it looks very healthy.

Stacy
by margaret e. pell on April 10, 2006 01:13 PM
It wants sun!!! Direct sun for as long as you can give it (it'll need some aclimating). These plants are native to the Canary Islands just west of Morocco. If you want it to be healthy, give it sun.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by snapdragon on May 07, 2006 10:35 AM
hay-lo! I'm new too, but I'll agree on the sun. It needs a lot, but if it gets too much it'll let you know (bleaching!) Also, I've had to replant aloe several times a year once it gets top heavy.... it pulls itself out of the soil. I have one that I was very successful with cutting the main root (it became so long and top heavy that it wouldn't stay in a pot!)and putting it in regular potting soil with a little vermiculite and it shoots off tons of babies. Good luck!

Snapdragon

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: