The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Talk to me about Grecian Windflowers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Taking Care Of Palms.... Help!| Next thread: Tall aloe w/no babies »
Back to Thread index
by SN on April 24, 2005 09:12 PM
We are starting from scratch basically in our yard which is lined with mature trees - back and side - pines and others.

We do not want a lawn. We are going to do ground cover in front, with a bed as well. We still have not decided on what to use as a "fence" to block.

In the back, we will plant more things - herbs, veggies, flowers, etc.

I am thinking about the colors I would like to see. I am leaning towards a lot of blue with other colors as I see they would work. Wanting to do perennials and plants that will multiply. Thinking long term.

Does anyone have experience with grecian windflowers? I don't, but I am intrigued by them, they are one of the many plants I am considering, and from what I have been reading, I think they would be a good fit.

Thanks~

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

by weezie13 on April 24, 2005 10:59 PM
I have some!!!
I [Cool] LOVE [Love] them...
Mine are only the blue or purple~ish one's...
Grecian Windflowers

This is how I have them..
I have a 60ft raised bed, and planted only a small bag full... about 9 years ago.....
They were slow to start...
**maybe cause I was picking the flowers [Roll Eyes] ** and they weren't going to seed... but then I left them alone for a spring, I was busy with a baby, and WOWWWWWWWW did they take off... good pile of them...
I must have been weeding the babies too, thinking they were something else, *wild strawberry plants* and when I didn't pick them and didn't weed them, they spread in a nice clump~ish....

and I've been finding one or two, here and there all up and down the bed now....

But they aren't [Frown] holding thier own very well against the [Razz] creeping phlox... so, hence, now how to have you growing them...

Are you trying to make a lawn or creeping ground cover out of them???

Not sure how they would fair against a big bully weed...

But they do naturalize where there's open spaces in my bed.. Haven't found any in my lawn yet, but I don't mow much and it gets tall into that area too, so it may choke them out, they are awefully tiny and seem delicate... but hardy up here, they're already up up here and bloomin' their fool heads off..

When it's cloudy or rainy or overcast they close up too!!!!

Hope some of that info helps...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by SN on April 25, 2005 03:13 PM
Thank you, Weezie, that does help. I can see where it will be beneficial not to pick too many, and to be careful what you plant near them.

In the area I am thinking of for these, it would be where I would have other types of flowers too. Not so much for ground cover, but for natural areas. We were at the nursery yesterday, oh, it was so exciting. Looking at the different trees, especially. It was cold and windy, though and I am paying for it today...

Remember when I posted about designing a "blocker" for the road. I think we have figured it out. Two things - possibly white pines and spreading yews. The spreading yews are so neat, and you can leave them to grow, without pruning and they will drape, sort of like a weeping yew. And the white pines would look really nice. We would stagger the pines and yews.

So really the front is more about the blocker and then low ground cover, with one bed where long-lasting perennials should go, that is near the front of the house. But the back there will be a multitude of gardening delights, LOL. So that is probably where the windflowers will be.

Now if spring will just stay put already.

Someday, I will be able to share pictures, too.

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

by weezie13 on April 27, 2005 04:51 AM
I have mine under pinetrees, so they do
naturalize easy.... but they do get sunshine
from 11:00am to about 4:00pm.....

I really wished in my mixed bag there would
have been some other colors, I like the pink and
the white very much..
But the blue ones' are so cute...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Taking Care Of Palms.... Help!| Next thread: Tall aloe w/no babies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: