The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

my bonsai experience.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My Bleeding Heat is dying| Next thread: My boys want fish! »
Back to Thread index
by lord_fungi on December 05, 2006 10:33 AM
ok. I have collected Bonsai plants for a few months almost year or half a year and they grow so fast the magnifolia green tree grows like really quickly in just one month and i had to prune the whole tree because it was growing so rapidly anyways my question is can you grow bonsai in black pots with bonsia soil? i know you can grow ficus in which i bought one and placed it into a pot with bonsai soil so yeah,
tell me more about bonsai if you have any experience i have collected juniper, conifer , maples, magnifolia "green leafed". And a fig tree "pot belly fig" as a bonsai and... jade trees, many other juniper different types of trees. please tell me more about growing them.

as free as the grass grows is the call of real freedom.
by SpringFever on December 06, 2006 04:55 AM
You can grow a bonsai in just about any pot that is balanced with the tree itself..

I have grown the same one for near 4 years now.. I was checking out a few different types to try and grow from seed! The one I have now is a lustrium it is an indoor outdoor type in my area..

I could sit here and type a bunch of things.. But is there a specific question you have?? I have several books that I use as guides...

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by neko nomad on December 21, 2006 10:37 AM
i'm involved in an alternative to bonsai, Ueki no Te Ire , or giant bonsai, in sculpting a scots pine into a Japanese style form. Here's what I've achieved after about eleven years so far:
 -

The objective here is the branch over gate form, or Monkan Shitate, with that lower branch.

One thing I've learned in the process is that the scots pine doesn't respond to this type of treatment as does, say, the
japanese Black Pine, in that it's a much larger tree. Therefore, I'm contending with a heavier branch characteristic which may not develop into as graceful a form as would a smaller species.

Before spring, I'll trim off the stubs left from this year's work. There's still some way to go yet.
by SpringFever on December 21, 2006 09:36 PM
WOW that would be a challange to do on such a large scale!!

-
 -
by neko nomad on December 22, 2006 02:10 AM
Not really, though there are safety issues to consider, particularly in being on a ladder. Takes lots of time, also, in keeping watch on a tree over the years.

Check out this site for a glimpse of this fascinating -- to me, at least-- style of tree maintenance. Giant Bonsai. It gives an overview of a book,which I got through Amazon.com, explaining the techniques involved. I find the book useful as a specialized supplement to pruning guides I already have.
by SpringFever on December 23, 2006 11:10 AM
That is wicked cool!! I have no trees I could do that with in my yard but it is very neat to look at! Thanks for sharing! [thumb]

-
 -
by M. D. Vaden of Oregon on December 24, 2006 09:26 AM
I used to tinker on the little ones, but the watering needs were more than I cared to deal with.

The version you are learning, is easier for maintenance.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Web Site

Oregon Bigfoot Trap trail

Photo Albums - Oregon Scenery & Tree Care

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Bleeding Heat is dying| Next thread: My boys want fish! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: