The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Azaleas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Azaleas| Next thread: Azaleas and Impatiens »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on July 24, 2006 06:07 AM
Many many azaleas were put into the churches new landscaping. They are small shrubs certainly not at a mature height but they don't seem to be doing to well and there is some general browning of the leaves. Say about 5% brown. Is this just transplant shock combined with the 90 degree temperatures we had for 2 weeks or do I need to be concerned.

Also if you could give me care instructions that would be great. I'm thinking they like their soil a little on the acidic side.

-
 -
by Bill on July 24, 2006 06:24 AM
How long go was the landscaping put in. The problem is probably a combination of planting the Azaleas at the wrong time of the year, insufficient watering at transplant time, transplant shock and the high temperatures....

Azalea care

Transplanting Azaleas

-
by tkhooper on July 24, 2006 01:50 PM
Thanks Bill.

-
 -
by kyjoy on July 26, 2006 08:49 AM
Who planted them? Most nurseries guarantee their plants for a year if it does the planting.
by tkhooper on July 26, 2006 10:12 AM
it was a landscape company and I'm hoping that is what is in the contract. But it appears that the guys are handling it. So I'll just do what I can. Like weeding. It doesn't seem like they are doing that lol.

-
 -
by Budman on July 27, 2006 06:25 AM
Tammy, It sounds to me that your azaleas are having the same problems as the rhodos you described. They are similar in requirements as Bill stated on the rhodo topic. After hearing that there is a landscaping company involved, I am sure they are providing the necessary feed and mulch as it is in their best interest to do so. Take care, Budman-
by tkhooper on July 27, 2006 07:32 AM
Hi Budman,

Your right, except Virginia is full of fly-by-night contractors and landscaper. It's a major problem down here.

It just seems strange that those two plants are doing so poorly when other types of plants near them are fine.

And a reputable landscaping firm wouldn't have planted partial shade plants in full sun without acclimiting them first. But it appears that is firm did.

-
 -
by Budman on July 28, 2006 06:46 AM
Tammy, I can fully understand that. I worked for several different small Landscapers in the Fredericksburg area in the late seventies and early eighties and I saw some pretty shoddy work. Hopefully those Azaleas and Rhodos will adjust to their new home and look great for next spring!! It just would not be right to have poor looking plants, especially around a Church.
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 04:14 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. It's always nice to have more Virginians on the site. Where is Unionville? I'll be moving when the State takes this building and I'm trying to find a nice trailer or smallish place with a big yard. Very cheap because I'm on a fixed budget. Maybe a fixer upper owner financed or something.

-
 -
by kyjoy on August 12, 2006 08:30 AM
Dogwoods, rhodies and azaeleas grow in forests under the shade of larger trees. Yours are probably getting too much sun.

Most professional nurseries (landscapers)will guarantee what they plant for a year, or one growing season.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Azaleas| Next thread: Azaleas and Impatiens »
Back to Thread index