The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Azaleas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Azaleas| Next thread: Azaleas »
Back to Thread index
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 12:03 AM
I got a deal this past week-end on some "Roberta Red" azaleas. Lowe's had them on sale for $1 each! How's that for a deal? Now I am trying to figure out where to put them in this clay soil. Should I put them at the end of the drive-way (where I would have to truck water out to every week) or should I plant them closer to the house or the new (coming Friday) gazebo? The land out at the end of the drive-way stays moist when we are not in a drought situation. I just couldn't pass up such a good deal! [Embarrassed] [grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by princessazlea on April 07, 2005 12:32 AM
Hello Dixie Angel
My favourite plant, and what beautiful colours they have! I would plant your Azalea in a area which receives a few hours of morning sun.
If you type in Azalea at the top of the page where it says Google it will give you all the information you need.
p.s Have you got your wedding dress yet?

Lisa [wayey]

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 04:55 AM
Hi,

I vote for the gazebo, but then I think anything planted around a gazebo is twice as beautiful. They will be gorgeous wherever you put them.

Getting excited yet?

Tammy

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 03:46 PM
Hiya, Princess! Yep. Got the dress, hat, decorations,etc. This is the dress I chose.

http://www.westerncollection.com/wedding/pages/s127.htm

TKH, I am past excited. A little scared, too, though. It seems like everything is happening too fast after 24 years of being divorced.

I think the gazebo would look pretty with the azaleas around it. Wonder if they will still be blooming on May 14?

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 04:03 PM
My parents had them back when I was a kid but that was in Washington State very different zone. So I'm not at all sure. Also I'm alittle worried about clay soil. Did you check that out good? Washington state is very loamy soil.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 04:49 PM
When we first moved here, Tammy, we planted azaleas down both sides of our 300' drive-way. We lost every one of them because we had a major drainage problem. We are working on that now.

As for the clay soil...We amended the soil that we planted in before we plopped the azaleas in it. It didn't seem to do any good then, but we are hoping that with the drainage problem fixed that the azaleas will have a chance at least! If azaleas can handle clay, that would be even better because I could put them right in the ground as soon as the gazebo is up on Friday. They are starting to bloom! [grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 05:35 PM
I'm crossing my fingers and my toes and dusting off my rubber chicken.

Wishing real hard that they do well.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 06:28 PM
Thank you, Tammy. I do, too.

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Azaleas| Next thread: Azaleas »
Back to Thread index