The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dappled willow problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: dappled willow| Next thread: Darn... spider mites ! »
Back to Thread index
by plantingnewb on June 10, 2006 10:02 AM
I posted before about this bush and now I'm sending a picture hoping this will help.
I planted this last summer and it doesn't look so good now. Most of the branches are bare. I planted another one at the same time & that one looks ok.
I was told maybe I planted it too deep, but I'm thinking I would have planted the other one the same way. [dunno]
Any advice?
Tammy
dappled willow
by The Plant Doc on June 10, 2006 10:08 AM
Tammy,
It is kinda hard to tell by the picture but
it looks like something has eaten the leaves away. Is that the case or have they just been dropping? It does not look like it was planted too deep.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by plantingnewb on June 10, 2006 11:05 AM
I'm not really sure, but if something was eating it wouldn't the other willow that is 3ft. away be having problems also?
What would be eating on it?
I am really a newb, but the branches on the left side of the bush seem dead to me.
Tammy
by Pianolady on June 10, 2006 12:41 PM
Mine does this about every 3 years. Keep the new sprouts coming up, and cut off the dead ones. It comes back fine.

-
by plantingnewb on June 10, 2006 02:28 PM
I guess I figured that since I just bought it last summer, that it was a young plant.
What do I know [dunno]

How far down should I cut them?
Thanks
Tammy
by Pianolady on June 10, 2006 04:53 PM
I'm not even sure this is the "right" way to treat this plant, it's what I've been doing though. If there are no leaves except at the top of the branch, I sometimes leave it, and it gets a little straggly, but sometimes the result is kind of interesting (if you don't like these, cut them back some and see if they rejuvenate). Those branches tend to be the ones that die off eventually. Anything with no leaves, I cut to the ground, and those new shoots coming up take off.

-
by plantingnewb on June 11, 2006 03:15 AM
I will try cutting a few down and see what happens.
I guess it can't look any worse.
I will let you know what happens.
Tammy

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dappled willow| Next thread: Darn... spider mites ! »
Back to Thread index