The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dappled willow

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Danielle's new garden| Next thread: dappled willow problem »
Back to Thread index
by plantingnewb on May 23, 2006 02:29 PM
Last summer I planted two dappled willows.
This year one looks fine and the other, which is only about 2ft. away seems to be missing half of its leaves. Any thoughts??
by The Plant Doc on May 23, 2006 03:00 PM
Plantingnewb
Welcome! What part of Cheeseland are you from? I am over in the LaCrosse area.
As far as your question goes, Any number of things may have happened. The 1st two that come to mind would be the possibility of one of the plants being planted too deep. You should never plant a tree any deeper then it was originally. The next would be did anything eat away at the lower bark on the one that is not doing well?
If they are planted that close together, and assuming that they are receiving pretty much the same care, it is probably a mechanical problem as opposed to a pest, since one is effected and one is fine.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Squirrel on May 25, 2006 03:05 AM
I got a dappled willow this year. So I`m anxious to see how it does. It`s not a tree, it`s a shrub. Green and white leaves at the bottom with spikes where the leaves turn pink. It is just beautiful. Salix integra "Flamingo" I googled it and got a pix. Try it to see if we`re talking about the same thing. Mike referred to it as a tree. So I don`t know if I`m right. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by plantingnewb on May 25, 2006 08:13 AM
This is what my bush looks like, but not so hardy. Does yours look similiar? Tammy
http://www.horticopia.com/hortpix/pix/U694R2.jpg
Horticopia picture
by The Plant Doc on May 25, 2006 08:27 AM
My mistake, when writting. I should not post before drinking a few cups of coffee [Wink]
But the same goes for any plant

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Squirrel on May 25, 2006 11:23 AM
Yes, Tammy, that`s it, but mine is smaller and I hope I can keep it small. lol I don`t know much about it except that they said at the nursery, you can prune it up until July. I hate pruning but I know it`s necessary. I think I`ll wait until then to prune it so my grandson can see the pink when he comes up to Pa for the 4th. Sue

I know what you mean with the coffee, Mike. :-)))

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Danielle's new garden| Next thread: dappled willow problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: