The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weeping Birch ,not looking goood..

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: weeds and wild flowers| Next thread: weeping diffenbachia? »
Back to Thread index
by abnutcracker on May 21, 2006 11:01 AM
I've had a weeping birch thats did great for 10 years .The problem seems to start last fall with one branch's leaving turning brown early.I've didn't see any visable problems.

Well spring came and to my horror only one branch is leafing out.I've never had any trouble with this tree in the past.Now I'm wandering if an early frost could hae done some damage or is I can even save this tree after so long....

-
by gardenmom32210 on May 23, 2006 02:37 AM
It sounds like the tree could be sufferring from 2 different problems.

An Iron deficiency can cause yellowing of the leaves,but don't know if it would cause the type of dieback that you are experiencing.

An infestation of the Bronze Birch Borer does cause dieback. If it is caught and treated in time you shouldn't lose the tree.

Here's some info regarding prevention and treatment for the Borers.....
Bronze Birch Borer/US extension office

Hope this helps [thumb] and Welcome to the Forum [wavey]

G-Mom [grin]
by johnCT on May 23, 2006 04:10 AM
Check for BBB holes.

John - Zone 6
by The Plant Doc on May 23, 2006 03:14 PM
Birches are also host to leaf miners look at the leaves and see if they appear to be hollowed out.
A lot of the time you will see what appears to be dirt on the inside of the leaf, this is actually the fras or "poop" of the little critters. This remains after the leaf miners morph from their larva stage and leave the leaf. If it is a leaf miner pretty much the same treatment for the birch borer will work. (a ground drench of Merit) You will need to treat the tree systemically as the critters are inside the leaf. It is best to do the application in the late fall as the trees are soaked with sap in the early spring.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: weeds and wild flowers| Next thread: weeping diffenbachia? »
Back to Thread index