The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mulberry Tree Questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Mulberry bush| Next thread: Mulch »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on April 13, 2006 05:31 AM
Does anyone have a black mulberry tree? Or, does anyone recall childhood memories of a mulberry tree? Anyone ever heard of a dwarf variety?

-
 -
by flwrgrdnmom on April 13, 2006 10:29 PM
My mother-in-law has a mulberry tree. We eat from it every year... delicious! I've not heard of a dwarf variety, but it wouldn't surprise me if they'd made one. They make just about everything in dwarf from now.
by Longy on April 14, 2006 03:30 AM
I have a black mulberry. I fight with the wild birds for them every year. It's in the chook run so they get the fallen fruit. There is a dwarf one available. Not sure what it's like.

-
The secret is the soil.
by joclyn on April 15, 2006 11:33 PM
there's one in my neighbors yard. overhangs mine and darn it! i always forget and walk barefoot to go to the flowerbed at the back of the yard - end up with blue/black soles (and it doesn't wash off either!)

it's hard to get at the fruit - the tree is SO big - can't even reach the lowest branches. the birds go nuts for the berries tho!
by Longy on April 16, 2006 01:57 AM
end up with blue/black soles (and it doesn't wash off either!)
++++++++++++++++++
Use a young, green berry and rub the juice on the stains. It'll come straight off.

-
The secret is the soil.
by joclyn on April 18, 2006 12:51 AM
thx, longy! i'll be sure to try that the next time i forget and go barefoot when the berries are falling!!
by BENNIE on June 15, 2006 01:27 PM
Just found this site - just the perfect fit for me. Have a question about mulberry trees - purchased one for my birds and planted it last year. It seemed to do fine over the winter and came in good this season, but over the past few weeks has wilted to almost dead looking. I have read on another site that they don't like to be crowded. THis is planted with other plants in a rock garden. Have I smothered it? If I cut it back will it revive? Any help would be appreciated?

BIRD LOVER
by afgreyparrot on June 15, 2006 03:06 PM
Hi, Bennie! I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to say howdy...because I am your neighbor! I live down in London...a few miles from you!
Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by woodchuck on June 15, 2006 04:08 PM
We have black-mulberry everywhere, and tall too, up to 70 feet tall and loaded with berries all the way to the top, looks like a 'crunchberry tree'.

Around my place, I treat them like a weed in many areas, they don't die easy. The root system is LONG, and durable, you can cut them to the ground and they will come back, if you prune them to a bare trunk and they are smaller, like under 12'tall, and it will put out sprouts within weeks. I mow many saplings over and they just won't die. Crowding?, If you look at some of my pics you should be able to see how thick the trees are and mulberry is amongst them, very tough tree.

The kids had the first fruits of the year today, first mulberry for my son, started pulling the branches down to get more.

www.msnusers.com/woodchuckers

go to pictures, then page two, views from the house #'s 003,004,007. click on the thumbnails and you can recognize them by leaf pattern and the greenish not so rough bark, and one in 007 has been heavily pruned and is currently full of berries.

Hope this helps.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mulberry bush| Next thread: Mulch »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: