The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hybiscus and philodendron drama

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hybiscus| Next thread: Hybrid Columbines (Aquilegia) »
Back to Thread index
by stace672 on March 24, 2006 06:33 AM
Hi there, I am a new member and a fairly inexperienced gardener. Last year, before my grandmother passed away, she gave us a beautiful and huge, split leaf philodendron. The leaves on this thing are huge and very jagged. Anyhow, my husband, for whatever crazy reason, took a saw to the four stumps that were sticking out of the ground a month or so ago. It is sprouting some new green things at the bottom og the stump, will it be okay? I live in Killen, Texas, which is zone 8. Also, he took the gardening shears to my dwarf flaming winds hybiscus and chopped them allt he way to the ground almost. There is only little tiny branch stubs (maybe an in high) above the ground. They have green leaves at the bottom, will they regrow their height or am I going to have to pull all of these up? I put a similar post in another section, but this one seems more appropriate. Please help!

Thanks

Stephanie
by Triss on March 24, 2006 06:38 AM
Stace, I believe both will grow if they are already starting to show signs of growth. Just may be a while to get teh height back. Good luck with them and welcome to the Forum!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by flwrgrdnmom on April 03, 2006 09:41 AM
I agree... since new growth is showing, they should be fine. They may actually be even prettier. Sometimes cutting things back kind of renews them.
Good luck keeping your husband's saw under control! I have the same problem... lol
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hybiscus| Next thread: Hybrid Columbines (Aquilegia) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: