The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tired soil in potted plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tire potatoes| Next thread: Tires in the Garden »
Back to Thread index
by Kratz7 on August 20, 2006 12:12 AM
Hi all,
I have three plumeria plant that I planted from (cuttings) bought in Hawaii 5 years ago ...they are about 3' tall.....I have had them planted in large square flower pots for about 3 years.... Summer 2005 I did get a few flowers on ach and I was tickled pink.....now, Summer 2006 I have had 1or 2 flowers start but they dropped off before blooming....Does anyone know if this could possibly be from old soil? I was thinking of repotting them with fresh soil this winter....
I also have a monkey pod tree(Samanea Saman ) I think is the technical name. That was planted from seed so I think I have 5 more years until that will bloom. Does anyone have any knowledge of either of the plants mentioned?

Any info would be welcomed....

you can see photos of all listed on photobucket, among many photos

Thanks,
Kratz7

-

Kratz7 Photos
by Jiffymouse on August 20, 2006 04:12 AM
i know plumeria are georgeous trees. their native soil is a very rich, moist, well draining mix of humus and sand.

that said, i would repot them every 2-3 years, being careful of the root balls.
by Kratz7 on August 22, 2006 11:51 AM
Hi Jiffymouse,
Thanks for the reply about the tired soil...I think I will try repotting the 3 plumerias and 1 monkeypod tree that I have
If they are supposed to be repotted evey three years I'm overdue..... I haven't had as many flowers this year, so that is probably the issue....I have photos posted on photobucket....I think the plumerias are on charlie7_07....album

Thanks again....

Kratz7

-

Kratz7 Photos
by cinta on August 22, 2006 06:53 PM
I received two cuttings this year. I see you are in Pennslylvania. How do you winter your Plummies. Are you letting them go dormant?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Kratz7 on August 23, 2006 02:16 AM
Hi Cinta,
I need to repot the plumerias this fall or next spring. I normally let them go dormant in the basement, it does get a little crowded but it's just temporary. My kitchen gets used very well in the fall/ winter as I also have a monkey pod tree that stands 7' tall, that also needs a soil transplant...that should be fun....I was wondering if I could actually cut away a bit of the rootbal to reinvigorate the things to grow more ....without giving them a bigger flowerpot...what do you think?

thanks
Kratz7

P.S. I have plumerias and monkey pod tree on photobucket.

-

Kratz7 Photos
by cinta on August 23, 2006 07:50 AM
I saw your photobucket pics. Look at my Flicker album. I think you and I are long lost sisters. We are lost in zone denial. LOL!!! I love the tropical plants sooooo much.

I think you should do some root pruning. That is what I have been doing with my Brugs to keep them in the smaller pots. I am up to 8 of those. If you want to see a crowded basement you should come to my house in the winter. I call it my Tacky Tikki room.

I remove the Brugs from the pot and get as much of the old dirt off as possible. Root prune and give them some good Miracle-gro soil and then mix some Superthrive in to the mix. It is like a miracle what happens. But I do that in early Spring.

Hope it this helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Deborah L. on September 17, 2006 08:52 AM
What are "brugs"?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tire potatoes| Next thread: Tires in the Garden »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: