The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

birch tree from a seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: birch seeds| Next thread: bird art »
Back to Thread index
by timmy on June 26, 2004 08:34 PM
hi...

is it possible for me to cultivate a birch tree from a seed? we have one in our backyard, and i would love to grow one from seed if possible...

this tree has some shoots on it right now that when broken open look like they contain seeds... are these seeds?

if so, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to start off a seedling?

thanks for your insight...

tim
by timmy on July 01, 2004 05:37 PM
no advice on this question?

[Frown]
by obywan59 on July 01, 2004 10:05 PM
Harvest birch seed when ripe and then plant outdoors in fall. The cold winter temperatures will ensure stratification for spring germination. If you save seed and decide to plant in the spring, you need to plant your seeds in a small container and moisten the soil mix. Then place in a plastic bag and put in your refrigerator for one to three months. Then either plant outdoors or in containers for later transplanting. Sometimes, seeds will begin sprouting in the refrigerator.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by timmy on July 02, 2004 12:47 AM
So when are the birch seeds ripe?

What exactly do I do in the fall? Plant the seeds in a pot and leave them outside for the winter?

quote:
Originally posted by obywan59:
Harvest birch seed when ripe and then plant outdoors in fall. The cold winter temperatures will ensure stratification for spring germination. If you save seed and decide to plant in the spring, you need to plant your seeds in a small container and moisten the soil mix. Then place in a plastic bag and put in your refrigerator for one to three months. Then either plant outdoors or in containers for later transplanting. Sometimes, seeds will begin sprouting in the refrigerator.
by Shani on July 02, 2004 06:05 PM
I would suggest germinating and starting the seeds inside. Green houses often germinate their seeds on either a damp soil bed or just a damp bloater cloth, though a paper towel will work. If the substrate is keep moist at all times with the seed set on top you will be able to tell how many seeds will germinate. Plant in just a small pot a watch it grow, try about 20 seeds for each tree you want to grow.
The trees used at reforestation tree plants are usually greenhoused for two years then planted in the spring

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by obywan59 on July 02, 2004 06:22 PM
Here is a little info on harvesting birch seed. I also looked in one of my books on plant propagation and learned that stratification (cold treatment) is not necessary if germination takes place in light.

-
Terry

by obywan59 on July 02, 2004 06:35 PM
Also, check out the notes on cultivation on the link I sent in my last post.

-
Terry

by timmy on July 03, 2004 01:20 AM
so i guess i have to wait until september to harvest the seeds?

thanks for all the info... i'll give it a try...

tim

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: birch seeds| Next thread: bird art »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: