The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting roses to containers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Ronda on May 05, 2006 12:04 AM
Hi!
I am new to this forum and very challenged in growing flowers. I planted 6 mini rose bushes(from GardenFarms) last year and I need to move them. The bushes have started to come up, but no blooms yet. I want to transplant them into a half wooden barrel. I have read some information on how to transplant roses from the ground into a container, but I was wondering if you have any helpfull tips, secrets and ideas you can share.

Also, I bought miracle grow flower and garden soil, but should I buy some of the "potting soil" too? (I am sure that is a "flowers 101" question, but I have problems with plastic flowers : )

Thank You,
Ronda

Ronda
by Longy on May 05, 2006 09:04 AM
Not a rose gardener Rhonda, but i believe they transplant best during dormancy.
I'd recommend a potting soil mix for a container. Regular soil can go quite hard and become water repellant in pots.
If you need to transplant them while they are growing, like now, water well the day before and have everything ready so they are out of the ground and straight into the barrel. Just before and after transplanting give a further drink with seaweed or kelp extract. This will aid in reducing transplant shock.

Plastic flowers! What are they?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Jiffymouse on May 08, 2006 10:21 AM
longy is right. although, with care, you can transplant them anytime.
by Sir Ts Princess on May 15, 2006 09:16 AM
Roses....

They are correct, it is best to transplant during dormancy. And to my knowledge, roses aren't the best of container plants...mainly due to water issues. Roses can't tolerate water that retains a lot of water, so my advice would be this...

1. Get a potting soil
2. Add sand to your potting soil to help it drain better.
3. Mix some plant food for roses into your soil and plant the roses when they aren't blooming.

Genrerally, if you nurture them well, and make sure they don't get over watered they should fair fairly well as long as they are getting plenty of the sun that they love so much.

Oh, and you can feed them some diluted beer every couple of weeks to help promote prolifient blooms. I don't know why...but all of my roses LOVED beer!

-
by Deborah L. on May 15, 2006 10:34 AM
Guess what else plants love? This is my secret to healthy, lush plants, and will even really help bring back a sick plant.
DIET COKE ! Yep, Diet Coke. I don't know if it's the caffeine or the acid or what, but I know it works.
Don't use regular Coke, the sugar would attract ants.
Whenever I have some Diet Coke left in a can, it goes on my plants. No need to water if the plant's already moist enough, the Coke will get down to the roots eventually.
Try it !

-
 -
by joclyn on May 15, 2006 06:17 PM
i just moved my rose and i wish i hadn't. it went into a bad shock and i won't be sure if it's going to survive until next year.

right now it looks terrible - all the leaves died and are brown and shriveled. it looks dead - i don't think it is...and i certainly hope it's not - it is the first thing i planted when i bought my house and i don't want to lose it.

i'd strongly recommend that you wait until late fall to move them!! also, espom salts are supposed to be good for roses (and many other plants using epsom salts in the garden
by Ronda on May 16, 2006 11:04 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I am addicted to Diet Coke, I will have to try that idea.

Update - I transplanted my mini rose bushes from the ground into the half barrel. So far so good. It is hard to tell right now because it has been raining so much. Hopefully the sun will come out soon. I bought some Epson salt too.

Thanks Again

Ronda

Ronda

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: