The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting Tomato Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: transplanting strawberries| Next thread: transplating ivy question »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on May 17, 2006 06:40 AM
Sorry but I have another tomato question! [Embarrassed] I just spotted a little group of self-seeded tomatoes in the center of my garden. These little guys are only about 2-3 inches high, but have several leaves on them. Can I dig them up, separate them, replant them, and still have a good chance of them surviving? They've sprouted right next to a well established pumpkin, so they won't get good nourishment there--they've got to be moved! [dunno] Also, do roma tomatoes put out a lot of fruit at once? [thinker] I'm looking to make salsa and have a recipe that takes a HUGE amount of 'maters and was wondering if I'd need a few more plants... I've got 5 right now...

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on May 17, 2006 07:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
Can I dig them up, separate them, replant them, and still have a good chance of them surviving? [dunno]

Also, do roma tomatoes put out a lot of fruit at once?

Yup, they'll be fine if you move them. If they are from hybrids from last year though, they probably won't be that great. What variety of tomatoes did you plant last year?

Yes, most "Romas" or pastes, are determinates and set and ripen most of their fruit at once.

John - Zone 6
by hjolicoeur on May 17, 2006 08:50 AM
Yup, Romas do produce alot of maters... I am planting at least 2 dozen of them this year, along with another variety. I can ALOT! I am planning to do canned tomatoes, stewed, salsa, spagetti sauce, and anything else I can find that uses maters.

~Heidi
by LandOfOz on May 17, 2006 09:09 AM
Last year all I planted was either Early Girl tomatoes, so I don't think they'd be hybrid, the nearest garden to mine is probably a football field or so away. I think that I'll transplant them just to see what they'll do! Although I won't get my hopes up too high, just in case they are hybrids. Thanks!

And, wow! 2 dozen plants? You must be a seriously ambitious tomato lover/canner!! I'm going to be happy if I can make a full batch of salsa and, if I'm lucky, some stewed/diced maters; in addition to my batches of sweet baby pickles.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Danno on May 17, 2006 01:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hjolicoeur:
I can ALOT! I am planning to do canned tomatoes, stewed, salsa, spagetti sauce, and anything else I can find that uses maters.
SO WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS LOOKIN FOR A BRIDE?
by hjolicoeur on May 17, 2006 02:02 PM
LOL Danno!

My dad always had a huge garden when I was a kid... he says mine today is as big as they were when I was a kid but I don't believe him!

We did alot of canning and pickling back then and I still do today. Dad doesn't have a garden anymore (He is 74 now) so I keep him in supply all year round as well as my own house. I am one of the very few people in our family that cooks, I also have alot of the old family recepies that were my grandmothers and great grandmothers. I *love* to cook. And I'm damn good at it too!

~Heidi
by Danno on May 17, 2006 04:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hjolicoeur:
I am one of the very few people in our family that cooks, I also have alot of the old family recepies that were my grandmothers and great grandmothers. I *love* to cook. And I'm damn good at it too!

I'll be sending my wife over along with a check for a few 1000$ for some woman training! [angel]
by LandOfOz on May 17, 2006 04:11 PM
I have a lot of my grandmother's recipes, I think I'm 6th or 7th generation to get them. It's a good thing that I like canning too 'cause I'm her only descendent who has any interest in canning/cooking. It's good to see that there are people out there who are cooking, canning, and carrying on traditions too!!

By the way, LOL Danno!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Danno on May 17, 2006 04:16 PM
this is my first year on my own gardening. my wife HAD to live in the city so we have like a 1/3 of an acre lot to do **** on. . . not very sizeable. my kid has no swing. . etc etc.

Either way. . i'm very excited to be doing this. i had alot of fun as a kid doing gardening with neighbors, grandma/pa, and when my dad started doing it as well. I'm interested in all kinds of recipes you guys may use for salsa (canned) and any tomatoe sauce/paste etc. canning recipes/how-to that you guys use if you wouldnt mind. My email is walldiv@comcast.net which will be changing here shortly so anyone sending emails i'll reply back a new email address when i switch isp's

THANKS YALL!
by LandOfOz on May 17, 2006 04:39 PM
Hey, Danno, I got my salsa recipe emailed out to you. Hope that you like it. If I can do it, anyone can!! [Big Grin]

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 02:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
Last year all I planted was either Early Girl tomatoes, so I don't think they'd be hybrid,
Sarah, Early Girls are hybrids. [thumb] So volunteers from them will be F2 hybrids(3rd generation) and will not likely have the same traits or habits as the parents. But it's fun to find out as you said. [muggs]

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on May 19, 2006 03:40 PM
People still CAN????? I am big time impressed Danno, all I have is a container garden on a patio.
That 1/3 acre sounds like heaven to me ! Wow !

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 19, 2006 03:41 PM
Where's my exclamation point after "impressed" ?
OK, here it comes...... ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Danno on May 19, 2006 04:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:

That 1/3 acre sounds like heaven to me ! Wow !

lol deb [wavey] I would give my left hoohoodillychacha for a chunk of farmland! My kneck is as red as a firehydron! Minus a computer, i could pretty much live outdoors [muggs]
by Deborah L. on May 19, 2006 04:55 PM
Just get a laptop, LOL !

-
 -
by ranger on May 20, 2006 03:02 AM
For the cost of a few new plants and the care you will be giving them in that same space and the water you will use I would just get new plants.
ranger

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: transplanting strawberries| Next thread: transplating ivy question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: