The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gardening in the Sun

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by thegoodeg on March 31, 2006 07:11 AM
Can anyone tell a novice (me) about what kinds of plants, flowers & ivy can be grown in containers in a VERY sunny environment?

I don't know what zone I am in but I live in New York, NY.

Desperately seeking advice.
by Deborah L. on March 31, 2006 07:33 AM
Herbs ! Roses ! Tomatoes !
Hmmmmm... anyone have any other suggestions?

-
 -
by Handbright on April 02, 2006 08:52 PM
For an ivy that will take full sun try english ivy, (hedera helix) and for a trailing pretty plant try creeping jenny...(lysimachia) any container gardening done in full sun is going to need a lot of water though, and these two are no exception.
geraniums too, can take the sun, they are pretty when underplanted with the ivy or the creeping jenny...plus the geraniums will "shade" the ivy when they are planted together.
It's really not just how sunny it is, its also how hot it gets. When you wrote that your in NY, NY- I guess I just thought roof top!

the first duty of love is to listen
by TomR on April 04, 2006 08:44 AM
Peppers, zinnias, sunflowers,Black eyed Susans, Clematis (shade the root area), Purple cone flowers, Petunias, Bee Balm, to name just a few that *I* grow. I'm about 65 miles north of NYC.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by patches1414 on April 04, 2006 08:57 AM
I plant pink geraniums with white allyssum around the edge in my pots and they seem to do really well together. Just how big are the containers you're talking about? [dunno] I think that would make a difference in what I was planting, [thinker] especially with regard to height of the plants (e.g. coneflowers would be too tall for my containers).

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Longy on April 06, 2006 06:31 PM
Succulents love full sun, excellent drainage and generally minimal watering. They do great in containers.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: