The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grubs?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Grrrrrrrrrowl| Next thread: Grubs!!! »
Back to Thread index
by gmugrad04 on May 17, 2006 08:38 AM
I was pulling up weeds on a side of the house without any grass, just flowers & bushes & a pesky tree stump which has fungus growing around it. The tree stump on one side had a bunch of liquid seep up when I dug there & the roots are moist enough to be falling apart in my hand. I also found what I think were grubs living there. Can grubs live in that type of environment? What can I use to get rid of them without killing the nearby flowers & bushes? I am wondering if pulling stump up is necessary as well. Thanks for the help.
by SpringFever on May 17, 2006 09:18 AM
GRUB-X

Works real well on them... I posted this subject not that long ago, and all said this would be the best for not hurting other living and helpful insects... I find grubs all over my yard grass or not ..

By the way Welcome to the Forum there are a bunch of great people as well as great help..
Please brows around and Jump in if you have something to add or know about!!
 -
enjoy your stay..
Rita

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by gmugrad04 on May 17, 2006 10:43 AM
Thanks Rita. I'm just wondering now if pulling up the stump is best so that the grubs don't continue to come back. It seems like the perfect environment for them to grow & multiply in number.
by SpringFever on May 17, 2006 10:52 AM
You could try removing it if you want ... The breeding and growth I am not sure of... But was told that the Japanese beetles that lay the eggs love the rich dirt and lush lawns and that is the reason they are there... let me check and see if I can find the thread of what I was told!!

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 17, 2006 10:56 AM
Grubs

-
 -
by The Plant Doc on May 17, 2006 12:46 PM
Springfever

While I love Grub Ex, it is not going to work in that situation. The reason why it is fantastic in lawns is that it is¼/option>?taken into the plants and makes the plants themselves poisonous to the insect. Which is great as it won't hurt the beneficial insects, but unfortunately it really only works well on lawns where the grubs are actively feeding. It will have no effect on grubs under a bare area or one with flower or shrub roots as most of those roots are too tough for the grubs to munch on.
For an area like that you should use a contact killer such as Dylox or Sevin and water it is very well, so it gets down to the area where the grubs are at.
By the way Grub-ex sold under a different label "Merit" (actually this is the original insecticde with that active ingredient) is fantastic for treating your roses to keep the adult Jap beetles and European chafers from munching on the blooms and leaves!

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by SpringFever on May 17, 2006 01:08 PM
Ohhh Crap mike thanks I just wish I would of known before our Monsoon!! haha I did put the X even in the flower beds but they are still there!
I guess I will use the sevin there or the other which ever is less money!

-
 -
by gmugrad04 on May 21, 2006 03:25 PM
Thank you for the help. Now I've got to figure out what to do w/ that darn stump. One problem at a time I guess!
by Buglady on May 24, 2006 04:22 PM
If the grubs were in the stump how do you know they were not feeding on the dead wood? there are meany beetles aka grubs that feed on dead wood. that's how the forest floor gets cleaned up. Also grubs in flower beds are not typically turf grubs aka Japanese beetles.

So before you go killing the grubs, again grubs are just immature beetles, i would make sure they are a pest and you know what they are. People are to fast to kill any insect they find without correctly identify it.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grrrrrrrrrowl| Next thread: Grubs!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: