The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grubs!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Grubs?| Next thread: Grubs and Moles »
Back to Thread index
by afgreyparrot on April 16, 2004 05:40 AM
I have so many grubs you wouldn't believe it. If I turn over a shovel full of dirt, there are several grubs in it. (I'm beginning to think this is what might be the source of my "mystery holes".) Anyway, what exactly do they hurt? I wanted rid of them because they are so gross looking, but I read that when you get rid of the grubs, you are also getting rid of the earthworms around them. There are tons of worms in a shovel full of dirt, versus 3-4 grubs. Oh, well...back to the question...do they hurt anything? I don't want to hurt my worms!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Chrissy on April 16, 2004 06:02 AM
Hi Cindy,
I know just how you feel, the last home we lived in had grubs bad. Here is a great web site that talks about lawn/garden grubs & the damage they cause, as well as helps with solutions.

Garden Guides - Grubs

To keep your earthworms alive but kill the grubs you might want to try releasing beneficial nematodes. You can purchase them here:

Tera Viva Organics - Buy Nematodes Here

I went the way of nematodes in my last lawn & it worked wonders & didn't seem to harm my earthworms a bit.

Chrissy [thumb]

-
 -
z5b
by afgreyparrot on April 16, 2004 06:36 AM
Thank you!!!
Those websites you linked, and the website links from them, were very informative. Those grubs are doing more harm than I thought:

damage first appears to be drought stress. Heavily infested turf first appears off color, gray-green, and wilts rapidly in the hot sun. Continued feeding will cause the turf to die in large irregular patches.

THAT WOULD BE ME!!! I thought I just had some funky grass! I found a grub yesterday 2 inches long!!! YUCK! [shocked]
Guess I better order the nematodes and get something started. Thank you so much!
I love this garden forum!!! [Wink]

-
 -
 -
by Chrissy on April 16, 2004 07:01 AM
Glad to have helped:) I love these forums too...so many great people here to help out...I am learning all kinds of new things [grin]

-
 -
z5b
by afgreyparrot on April 16, 2004 07:38 AM
I hope one of these days I'll be someone who can help someone else out. But, all I seem to do is ask questions! (and post things on here that I sometimes wish I would have kept to myself! They must think I'm a nut [Big Grin] !!!)

-
 -
 -
by Chrissy on April 16, 2004 04:23 PM
I love your posts Cindy, look forward to them daily...ya sure keep me laughing [Big Grin]

-
 -
z5b
by apples on April 16, 2004 05:36 PM
Cindy, I'm with you ont the "large irregular patches." My dad looked and if they were all sticking out of the ground I think they'd be alot more ordamental then grass [Big Grin] . My dad said were going to have to redo the hole lawn and I jumped in right away to say "We don't have to plant grass." I'm thinking a purple beach hedge along the front and putting in a japanese garden [dunno] .
Doesn't sound bad to me!
Their's nothing wrong with being a nut [Frown]
Nuts are a very important source of our daily nutrition [Wink]
You should check out buglady's homepage it's got alot of info on bugs and natural defences for the garden. Buglady Site

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Buglady on April 28, 2004 12:19 AM
Well, I wish I had that many grubs.. I am looking for some!!

Anyhow I always get my nematodes from www.nematodary.com. They are the actual nematodes "breeders" and they carry 5 species so you can get the right one for the right job.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by afgreyparrot on April 28, 2004 02:09 AM
You are really looking for GRUBS?
Why??? [nutz]

-
 -
 -
by Buglady on April 28, 2004 02:27 AM
To photograph them. I teach grub ID workshops and write about their management, photos are essential. Also always looking for areas to trial new products.

-
 -
The Buglady
by afgreyparrot on April 29, 2004 06:18 AM
Here's one I dug up today. It is the biggest one I've seen so far. Almost 2 inches long.
 -
Would you like me to send you some?????

-
 -
 -
by Buglady on April 29, 2004 06:54 AM
Wow.. cool... i would love some!!!!

-
 -
The Buglady
by loz on April 29, 2004 07:06 AM
This is a dumb question, but can grubs be red? I unearthed this huge red grublike bug the other day when planting.....it really grossed me out...It was almost 2 inches long and really fat. Don't know what it was, that was the first one I ever saw before. [dunno]
by weezie13 on April 29, 2004 07:47 AM
Cindy,
We love all of your questions [dunno] and comments [critic] , and funny stuff [Big Grin] ....
You help alot of other gardeners that come along looking for information, and maybe some are wanting to know an answer but may not know how to ask or too shy to ask or maybe not quite ready to sign up as a member but would still like the information just the same, and by you asking and us answering and them reading, we all help each other, and in time they too may really see how friendly of a bunch we are and feel comfortable to finally join up and ask or answer questions later on!!

Keep up the good work!!! [thumb]

With you here now, we couldn't imagine the place with out you!!!! [tongue]
Each member adds their own little touch to the place and settles in their own little niche.
REALLY!!! We love [Cool] having you here!!!
We all need a little levity too, and we love the way you can tell a story!!! Such fun!!!
Thank~You for all your sharing!! [muggs]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Buglady on April 29, 2004 07:49 AM
It is possible that the grub had been infected with native beneficial nematodes. Grubs can change color to a redish / purple when they have been infected. This is a good thing.. the way mother nature ment it to work.

-
 -
The Buglady
by afgreyparrot on April 29, 2004 03:10 PM
Thank you, Weezie.
You just made my day a little brighter! [flower]

-
 -
 -
by loz on April 29, 2004 07:54 PM
Thank you suzanne.....maybe that is what happened then, it was very bold red.....very ugly really....lol I'm not a bug person though.... [Razz]

And Cindy, weezie was right.....we love having you here, your little stories make me laugh, and you're a great member!!!! [thumb]
by afgreyparrot on April 29, 2004 09:55 PM
Thanks, loz. Haven't smiled much lately, and I just did!
Yesterday when I was driving home with my grandson he said, "CindyGranny, why does your mouth look so sad? Your mouth always is smiling, and today it has a sad look." Almost made me cry.

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 29, 2004 10:00 PM
hey cindy, we're all glad you are here, and you do have lots of wisdom to impart... hang in there and keep smilin' 'CAUSE WE [Love] YA!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grubs?| Next thread: Grubs and Moles »
Back to Thread index