The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Give me some space!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Ginger root cultivation| Next thread: Glad Leaves »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on May 22, 2005 08:43 AM
I have a basic question about plant spacing. If Im supposed to plant something with say, 18" apart, when the plants mature will they 'touch' or, I guess I better way of putting it is, will they look full? In other words, I want clusters of flowers close together but don't want to crowd them. I guess like a country garden type layout. Hope I'm making sense - it's late. Here's an example.

I planted mums in my rosebed, and followed instructions, planting each one about 18" apart. Now I have a rosebed with all baby roses, (mostly sticks with leaves [Big Grin] ) and tiny little mums in between, spaced out just so. It kinda looks silly. [dunno] Here's a picture:
Mums & Roses

So, will the mums fill out that 18" of space I left between them? Even close to filling it out? Not at all close?

Thanks!
Mary

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 22, 2005 08:59 AM
Mary,
It should by the end of the season, be all
filled in....
Rose's can get big, depending on the variety...
And so can mum's...

Also, alot depends on the sun, fertilizers, and watering...
Your bed looks good, and you look like you won't skimp on any of the above, so, they should all fill in nicely...

quote:
It kinda looks silly.
Remember too, everyone's style is different... what look good to one, may not appeal to the other... and vice~versa!!!
You can also try experimenting...
Try the same types of flowers, *mumm's* in another bed, and group them in 3's or something and you might like that look better..
Or group them in a triangle or 3 in front of the rose's.. you just gotta play with it...

I think that whole bed looks very nice indeed [thumb]

Weezie

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by MaryReboakly on May 22, 2005 09:17 AM
quote:
It should by the end of the season, be all filled in....
Cool! I look forward to it! [Wink] Guess I just need to try being patient [lala]

quote:
I think that whole bed looks very nice indeed [thumb]
Thanks! Still so much to do...I 'need' so many MORE flowers for MORE beds LOL!

Thanks for the encouragement [flower]
Mary

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 22, 2005 01:16 PM
I like the newly planted look. It's full of promise and baby cuteness. And it's just going to get prettier and prettier as it grows. I envy you that yours are already blooming. I have marigolds and they are just getting started with buds.

One thing I like about the newly planted look is it is so much easier to weed lol.
by MaryReboakly on May 22, 2005 07:27 PM
Actually, TK, don't be too jealous - I've already had to deadhead most of the mums! That picture was taken at the beginning of may, I think, and thought they're established and green, they're not very colorful at this point. Someone said if I deadheaded them as they turn brown, it will grow back. I hope it does! So far, it doesn't look like any new flowers are coming [Mad]

Funny thing too is I just learned yesterday the difference between deadheading and pinching! LOL! I thought it was the same thing. [Confused] At least now I know. Today is pinching day!

Mary

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ginger root cultivation| Next thread: Glad Leaves »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: