The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fun for the Little Ones--Magic Reindeer Food

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Full sun PLANTS| Next thread: Fungal Disease »
Back to Thread index
by angelblossom on December 05, 2005 05:50 AM
This is for the little loveys in your home the night before Christmas I know some of YOU STILL believe in Santa too , So make some for yourself also!!
MAGIC REINDEER FOOD

In a 1 gallon ziplock bag combine...

1 cup uncooked oats
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup red and/or green sugar crytals(for cake decorating)
1/4 cup silver balls(for cake decorating)
(originally this called for glitter, but we don't want to hurt birds or wildlife, so I subsituted for sugar crystal)
shake ziplock bag so it's well mixed.

On the night before Christmas present this to your little one with the following message..

"Be sure to take this magic food and sprinkle on your lawn
On Christmas, Santa's reindeer travel miles before the dawn
The smell of oats and glitter path
will guide them on their way
and you'll wake up to Santa's gifts
next 'morn on Christmas Day!"

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by 4Ruddy on December 05, 2005 06:01 AM
Oh Thanks Angelblossom...keep em comin...I am doing these up for my grand babies...I think they are going to LOVE it!!!!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Triss on December 05, 2005 06:11 AM
What a neat idea! I really like that one!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by angelblossom on December 05, 2005 10:04 AM
okay I have a couple more.... for the little ones...
Candy cane seeds

Purchase the small aluminium loaf pans crush enough chocolate sandwich cookies to cover 1&1/2 inches of bottom of loaf pans, mix this with shortnening enough to be able to press into bottom so it's somewhat firm; top that with coconut to resemble snow lay a ziplock snack bag with red and white round pepperments about 5 or 6 on the snow(coconut) with this message..

I once knew a gardener who knew how to grow
bright tasting candies from under the snow
I asked her to share her secret with me
and this is what she replied quit readidly
To garden in winter is difficult you see
It takes lots of care and very special seeds.
Here's a few seeds to grow your own treats
and you'll soon reep a harvest of candy cane treats,

Of course you decide how fast 'it grows' by placing broken pieces of candy cane sticks in the 'soil' (unbroken end up) untill a full candy cane appears to emerge!LOL

Rudolph's repair kit with Santa's kisses

ziplock of redhot candies, or red Ju-ju's, red gum drops, or any small red candies of choice, as well as hershey kisses.

As Message that says...
Rudolph has a job to do every Christmas eve.,it's true His nose will always light the way for Santa and his tiny sleigh
But if his nose should ever go out
Don't cry, or whine or even pout
take this bag and use a bit for Rudolph's red nose repair kit
Because Santa's been busy granting your wishes, for helping Rudolph here's some Santa Kisses

-
 -
by Merme on December 06, 2005 02:28 AM
Angelbossom ~

Each year for Christmas Eve I make up mini bags of the Reindeer Feed tying off one big corner of an ordinary baggie with curling ribbon. I make a BUNCH of them, pile 'em in a basket, and give them out to the kids who come to church for the children's service at 5. The older kids look forward to it and the younger ones get all excited to learn about it! It is a big hit around here.

I have never seen your other two ideas before, and I like the one about growing a candy cane...

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by angelblossom on December 06, 2005 12:19 PM
That's the Spirit!!! [clappy] Kids today don't see this kind of Joy in Christmas unless there's people like us that keep the Old' going!!! Thats great even older ones looking forward to it.... [thumb]

-
 -
by Merme on December 06, 2005 09:06 PM
Angelblossom ~

When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, we were all still so naive in many ways children today don't have a chance to be.

On Christmas Eve, after all of us little ones were put to bed, my dad would go outside and ring sleigh bells. Oh, I can still remember the thrill of being all tucked into bed alongside my sisters and listening to the sound of Santa's sleigh. We'd squeeze our eyes shut really tight and try to go to sleep fast so as not to disappoint Santa by being awake on his arrival!

It was many years before I learned it was Daddy out there in the dark ringing those sleigh bells...

So I keenly appreciate your ideas of bringing special joy to the children.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by angelblossom on December 07, 2005 08:18 AM
[kissies] YOU'RE WELCOME MERME!
what a sweet story! Did you do that for your own children??

-
 -
by Merme on December 07, 2005 08:47 AM
Yes, my Maxi (age 9) has heard Santa's sleigh a time or two! And don't EVEN try to convince him that the Reindeer don't like the Special Feed he puts out or that it WASN'T Santa's footprints he saw on our carpet one Christmas morning when he was 4 leading from the front door to the Christmas Tree because we didn't have a chimney!

Merme

-
 -

by angelblossom on December 08, 2005 08:02 AM
Merme!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [clappy] [clappy] [Big Grin] [lala]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Full sun PLANTS| Next thread: Fungal Disease »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: