The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

misc cacti

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by newgardener500 on May 21, 2005 09:13 PM
OK. I have 5 cacti I potted from clippings and started in-doors under a sun lamp. I moved them onto my patio about 2 weeks ago. To try and avoid sunburn I put them in a spot that got more shade, but still gets sun until about 11am. (The sun is up by 5am).

The apricot prickly pear promptly wilted. I gave it about 2 days, then moved it indoors where it perked up literally overnight and is now standing tall again.

The beavers tail also wilted. The main cutting kind of curled forward and the offshoot got limp and started to get brownish. (The entire thing also fell over...) I re-potted it and brought it inside about a day before the apricot pp. It isn't looking much better although the offshoot looks less wilty.

The purple prickly pear started to get yellowish-brown at the base. The guy at Ace (they have the best garden center in the area) told me that was normal but I'm having trouble believing that since it seems to be spreading...

I can't find a good "how-to" book on cacti. And I've killed cacti in the past (in Idaho). It seems like in Southern Arizona where they grow like wildflowers I should be able to keep them alive. I'm doing fine with hybiscus, dahlia, celosia, calibrachoa, etc. What am I doing wrong w/ my cacti? Any ideas?

Thanks much!
by weezie13 on July 24, 2005 01:11 PM
Up to the TOP!!!!

Anyone????????

I don't know how I missed this one....
Usually I always try to make sure they all
get an answer at least one...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by cinta on July 24, 2005 01:53 PM
I have rooted many Prickly Pears and find that they will yellow but will root eventually.

If you have them in the sun and not wet it should be alright. The one that is yellow will not turn green but it sprouts a new pad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: