The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Another algae thing...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by cookinmom on June 14, 2006 03:54 AM
What is the best way to control algae in a barrel-type setup with a water lily in it?

I have a big container that just has a water lily (the used-to-be baby one mentioned in a different post), with no pump or anything like that. The lily pads are now covering most of the water surface, but there is a lot of string algae in there. I did move a couple of snails over from the pond, and they're eating up a storm.

I have been adding fresh water (Alberto gave me about 3 inches last night!), and scooping up some of the algae and throwing it into the container next that houses a tomato, a basil, and a bell pepper.

But how is algae usually kept down in water containers, where there is no pump and filter?
[Wink]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Jiffymouse on June 14, 2006 02:55 PM
valerie, i have no idea. i have a container pond, but i have a pump, and still have algea problems. of course, alberto is helping me out too! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Pianolady on June 16, 2006 06:23 PM
The more plants you add, more shade, the less string algae you'll have. I use a toilet brush (get a new one) to get the string algae out. Just get the string algae attached & turn the brush in circles, it all sticks to the brush. Once a week will do it. You may need to remove the lily when you do this, or you might pull out all your blooms.

Good news is, if you have string algae, you'll notice you never have pea soup. I always have a green carpet of algae lining the pond, and I'll take it over pea soup any day. It also hides my liner.

-
by cookinmom on June 17, 2006 04:11 AM
Thanks Pianolady. That's good to know! My pond does have a fuzzy green carpet on the edges, but that I can live with. For a while it had sheets and clouds of string algae and it scared me! But now I have a filter going and it has cleared up so nice.

-
by debnoel on July 03, 2006 09:03 AM
I just have a ceramic pot with a waterproof liner 15 in. across by about 14 in.deep. I do have a fountain pump that I run and I have water hyacinth floating. They seem to keep the algae problem at bay. I don't have fish because I would have to winter them in the house. Did that once and the one fish outgrew the 3 gal tank, then the 5 gal tank, and was on his way to outgrowing the 10 gal tank when he died-3-4 years later. The water hyacinth are beautiful when they bloom. My pot is in the shade in the AM and full blasting sun in the PM. I think I paid 19.95 for the pump kit.
by cookinmom on July 06, 2006 09:38 AM
I love water hyacinth. We can't have it shipped in because it's illegal, but I don't think anyone would mind me helping to clear up a local waterway! There is a creek near us that has some, but there's also a gator in it, so I'm a bit shy of going in there! He's a little gator, but he could still tear up a leg pretty good!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: