The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Poor Baby!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pooped!!| Next thread: poor bougainvillea »
Back to Thread index
by Wrennie on June 14, 2006 01:01 AM
I left my house saturday morning to go to work. Just past the edge of my house I look at the side of the road and theres a baby bird sprawled out on the edge of the road. Looking right at me. Wing outstretched. His leg dangling behind him. [tears]
So I HIT the brakes, shove it into reverse and go backwards down the road back into my driveway. Of course BF is standing there looking at me like I've lost my mind. [nutz]
I think I put it in park, look at him & say, I'll go to work right after I help this bird... and ran down the road in front of my house.
Well the poor little guy looked at me with pleading baby bird eyes. He was a large baby, black feathers and bill, probably a crow, (I'm not so good at IDing the babies, but thats my best educated guess). I looked for a nest. he was near the base of a tree. Nothing. Then I looked closer at him. It seemed he possibly had tried to fly, he had his flight feathers, but didn't do so well and maybe got hit by a car on his way down. I reached for him to pick him up and he gaped at me, so I knew he needed food and should have been all cozy at home with his mama, and hopped on one foot to run away, bad leg.
So, v e r y g e n t l y I picked him up. Road rash on his shoulder, right eye puffed and sore looking, had to fold right wing in. And sent BF for a shoebox so I could take him with me to work and get a hold of a wildlife rehabilitator. So 4 phone calls later and 3 answering machines, no rehabber. [Eek!] Poor little guy is breathing rough, I'm not able to get him to gape again,(I have live mealworms at work to feed him). 1 1/2 hour later, God has mercy on my shattered nerves. He sends the lady that works in town hall in to shop. Eureeka! Maybe she knows of another rehabber! And she did. One was even home! After I hung up with him baby started gaping. Could he have known help was on the way? So I fed him a couple of mealworms. No easy feat without tweezers/hemostats. Then Mr rehabber showed up. YAY! My Hero! [kissies]
I hope baby is ok.
I didn't get pics of him I was more concerned with getting him help. Now I wish I'd taken some, but the flash might have stressed him more (Bad thing).

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by afgreyparrot on June 14, 2006 01:48 AM
Oh, Wrennie! Thank you for saving that bird's life.
I love crows! [grin]
I love ANY birds!

Thank you! [kissies]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on June 14, 2006 10:41 AM
I love Crows, too. As a boy I rehabbed several baby crows. They stayed with me for their entire life, which was well into adulthood. We would let them outside when they wanted to go out and let them back in when they were ready to come in, just like a dog or cat. Brilliant and highly intelligent they knew their names and I believe understood a lot of what we said to them. They may be near or equal to human intelligence in a non-technological way (as are Parrots, Cindy).

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by loz on June 14, 2006 10:48 AM
What a sad thing [tears] , but how great that you were able to help the poor little guy out! [thumb]

Thorny, I learn new stuff from you all the time! [thumb]
by porter57 on June 14, 2006 11:22 AM
im wondering....
what would cause a starling to savagely attack a much smaller chipping sparrow? i was out back and heard the sparrow crying and turned around to see a starling attacking it. and it looked like an innercity attack! i expected to see the starling pull a shiv and shank the little thing.
i scared the staling off but he didnt go far.
it kept coming back and trying to have another go at the sparrow. i got mad and took a shovel and started banging the fence every time it landed. it finnally left but when i went back to check on the sparrow,it had high tailed it.
no thank you,no three wishes or nothing.
by Squirrel on June 14, 2006 01:37 PM
Wrennie, you are an angel for helping that bird!! [angel] Hope he rehabs well. [thumb]

Porter, you crack me up. I can just see you banging the shovel against the fence. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by porter57 on June 14, 2006 02:56 PM
the worst part of it is,when i got home tonite,
something flattened the tires on my camper.
starlings revenge, i guess.

i think i may be a marked man now!

at least the squirrells are leaving me alone.
by Thornius on June 14, 2006 05:51 PM
Silently, a squirrel sneaks into Porter57's yard with a Glock 9 to bust a cap in his (expletive deleted).

-
 -
by debnoel on June 17, 2006 03:06 AM
I recently saw a starling swoop down and snag a baby purple finch while its parents were dive bombing it to try to save their baby. It was bird chaos. The starling ended up flying off with the baby and the finch parents were going nuts.
by BeckyB on June 17, 2006 10:41 AM
Wrennie, do you have an update of how the poor baby is doing?

Off topic, but I wrestled a snapping turtle out of the middle of the road Monday. I couldn't even imagine what people were thinking when they drove by.
But he was on a slight up-hill curve in the road and the speed limit was 45mph! I just had to make sure he was safe, ungrateful little thing.

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by Thornius on June 17, 2006 03:20 PM
A Starling tried to attack a baby House Sparrow that was learning to fly from its nest in my front porch, but the parent Sparrows chased it away.

-
 -
by Wrennie on June 18, 2006 12:56 AM
I didn't ask to be updated on baby bird. Haven't on birds in the past either. [Frown] Or the turtle(not snapping) that I saved. I'd rather assume all is well than learn someone died. [Eek!] I know sometimes some don't make it, I'm not that out of reality, but I like my everyone is fine fantasy.
[clappy]

-
 -

-

by Thornius on June 18, 2006 05:39 AM
I like fantasy with ogre's and trolls, and epic battles, and super heroic deeds, and lots of good food and drink, too.

-
 -
by Wrennie on June 19, 2006 02:28 AM
LOL!
I do like the good food and drink part!

-
 -

-

by Wrennie on June 26, 2006 12:29 AM
*****UPDATE****

One of the rehabbers I tried to get a hold of for the baby is also one of my customers at my store. She came in yesterday and told me the rehabber I gave baby to gave it to Michelle (whos Michelle? i dunno') who in turn gave it to her. He's coming along well. Will be released in time. He still gapes for food so is still young. Has a broken foot and damage on his head around his right eye. But he's getting better! YAY! [angel]
I didnt ask for the update but got it and it fits into my he'll be fine fantasy so all is well.
Now wheres that good food and drink Thorny? [muggs]

-
 -

-

by Wrennie on June 26, 2006 12:31 AM
*****UPDATE****

One of the rehabbers I tried to get a hold of for the baby is also one of my customers at my store. She came in yesterday and told me the rehabber I gave baby to gave it to Michelle (whos Michelle? i dunno') who in turn gave it to her. He's coming along well. Will be released in time. He still gapes for food so is still young. Has a broken foot and damage on his head around his right eye. But he's getting better! YAY! [angel]
I didnt ask for the update but got it and it fits into my he'll be fine fantasy so all is well.
Now wheres that good food and drink Thorny? [muggs]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pooped!!| Next thread: poor bougainvillea »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: