The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

my finch family...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: MY FICUS TREE| Next thread: My First . . . »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on May 11, 2006 06:21 AM
i always see birds flying up on our porch checking the area out (i also have a window seed feeder out there) but the legde is way to small to make a nest so i got a cheap box and rigged it up there. didn't take them long.......you can barely see the females head poking out in the first pic. they are house finches.
 -

-

there are actually 5 eggs but with the angle you can only see 4.

-
by loz on May 11, 2006 06:32 AM
Awwwww, I love finches!!!!

I love seeing everyones nest pictures....... [thumb]
by Mrs.Spud on May 11, 2006 09:03 AM
beautiful! I have a crudload of finches I wonder if they are nesting anywhere nearby.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by pagarden on May 11, 2006 03:31 PM
holy moly- i checked them today when she flew away and there are 6 eggs! in my bird book it says they lay 4-5! and this is after 1 was stolen! when she had 3 for a few days i checked her and there where only 2. my daughter said she saw a blue jay with something in his mouth fly by- so i'm pretty sure he stole an egg. so 6 + the stolen one = 7!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!
by loz on May 11, 2006 03:47 PM
Wow, that's great!

I wish we had more finches around here!
by Squirrel on May 26, 2006 07:18 AM
We have house finches and gold finches come to our feeders. It took a couple of years for the gold finches to come. But this year they have found us and come often. We have a Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal that come everyday. I`m sure they are the same ones. So much fun to watch. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Thornius on May 26, 2006 08:01 AM
I have regular daily Northern Cardinals, Northern Mockingbirds, Carolina Wrens, Carolina Chickadees, and Downy Woodpeckers coming to my feeders. The same ones have been coming for several years. This year the Wrens, Chickadees, and Woodpeckers have brought their newly fledged youngsters to my feeders already. I am still waiting on the Mockingbirds and Cardinals to come by with theirs.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by chenno on May 31, 2006 05:19 AM
Great Pics
I also have finches on my back deck, so cute.
I will get a digital camera soon, I cannot wait to share pics too.

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by pagarden on May 31, 2006 07:49 AM
updated pics.....

-

-

-

-

i think they are almost ready to leave us.... [tears]
by chenno on May 31, 2006 10:23 AM
Ohhhhhhhh [grin]

The wonders of the world!
How grand;-)
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Triss on May 31, 2006 11:11 AM
Just amazing!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by pagarden on June 02, 2006 05:01 AM
well, there were 6 eggs but only 5 babies. so today we were out walking and just across the street my son saw a baby bird in the street hopping. so i went and picked him up and he looked exactly like ours so i thought one decided to fly to coop! i went up and looked and there were still 5!!!!!!!! so this guy was from somewhere else. i put him up to the nest and he hopped right in. will momma and dad still feed him if he's not theirs??? he's still hanging out up there as of now.
by Thornius on June 02, 2006 09:19 AM
I don't know, keep an eye on him and let us know what happens [grin]

-
 -
by pagarden on June 02, 2006 03:52 PM
6 baby was there when sun went down! and momma and dad did come and feed the babies today- i'm sure they didn't leave him out. they can't count right? and so with all the little mouths popping up screaming when they come to feed they probably just feed them all! we have adopted another baby! LOL
by Jorgie on June 04, 2006 01:42 AM
We have quite a few house finches, they like to nest in the vines on the west side of the house. In case you aren't aware, finches love fruit. I have a hanger that holds 4 halves, and it's fun watching them eat both apples and oranges.

Jorgie
by plants 'n pots on June 04, 2006 03:38 AM
Fascinating pictures and story, pagarden!

There's nothing like following up on a bird's nest - too sweet!

Thanks for sharing this with us all here! [kissies]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by pagarden on June 05, 2006 12:19 PM
well, 2 babies flew the coop yesterday. only got 4 left. [tears]
by Thornius on June 05, 2006 02:11 PM
O how fast they growup. Seems like just days ago they were newborns and now they're out on their own.

-
 -
by pagarden on June 05, 2006 04:11 PM
hmph- my daughter is making me feel that exact same thing..... and she's only 8!
by pagarden on June 06, 2006 02:49 AM
????--- so the momma and dad have still been feeding the babies left. i see them throwing up in their mouths (for lack of better words), but they have been flying away SOOOOO how do the ones that flew know how to get food if the parents still vomit for them??? when i was watching the chipping sparrows i would see the parents bringing worms so i just assumed their bodies were old enough to digest stuff. but the finches don't do that, they regurgitate the food. the babies who fly just have am instinct to find food??? and their bodies just adapt?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: MY FICUS TREE| Next thread: My First . . . »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: