The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

my gladiolas are dieing

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: my gardening buddies today!| Next thread: My good deals... »
Back to Thread index
by lynita on June 15, 2004 09:02 PM
i need help. i planted 10 gladiola bulbs this spring and they were doing fine. they started out nice and pretty. then all of a sudden i started losing some. they started turning brown at the base of the plant and continued turning brown until the entire plant just disappeared. i am now down to 7 with 2 more doing the same thing. please help me to save the remainding 5 plants.
by weezie13 on June 15, 2004 09:49 PM
Hello Lynita,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!
We are very glad you found us!

Can you give us some more answers to questions..

Can you tell us
Growing conditions,
ie; soil, type of container or how it's planted,
sun or no sun, watering practices~including how and time, fertilizing practices.

That should help us narrow it down a bit for you!
Thanks!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by lynita on June 15, 2004 11:17 PM
hello weezie,

the soil is rich, it was orginally a strawberry plot, and it does have some strawberries in it now, but not close to the gladiolas.....we added some garden soil to it to make it richer.....it is getting full sun....we water the plot every other day (unless it has been raining), usually in the evening once the sun is not fully on the plot....we haven't used any fertilizer on them at all....there is the strawberries, some dahlias and the gladiolas in the section and only the gladiolas are dieing.....everything else, especially the dahlias are growing like crazy
by gardenmom32210 on June 16, 2004 12:31 AM
I'm wondering if watering in the evening could be a problem here. When you water in the evening it encourages disease. The best time for watering is usually in the morning before the sun hits the plants. Gladiolus are susceptable(is that how you spell it? [dunno] ) to corm rot. Hope this helps.

Karen [grin]
by weezie13 on June 16, 2004 06:44 AM
Yep, I'd agree with Gardenmom!
That's what I was thinking!
I know they don't like it tooooooo wet!

Or would the mixture be ttttttoooooo rich for for glad's or the type of dirt that holds too much water that would hold the water too close for too long???

What type of soil is under the bed?
Would it be clay?? That holds in extra water?

Have you pulled the dying plants up to see the roots on them and what they are doing and or look like? Brown, smelly, slimey, etc.?????????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by lynita on June 16, 2004 08:52 PM
thank you gardenmom and weezie for your input. i have checked the soil and there is no clay underneath. it could be the soil itself holding in all that water. my roommate and i have discussed our options and we were wondering if we could dig up the remaining plants and relocate them to a drier area? [thinker]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my gardening buddies today!| Next thread: My good deals... »
Back to Thread index