The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

A full-shade garden?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: A frog, a dog and a lil' baby hog| Next thread: A Funky Tomato »
Back to Thread index
by new-gardener on May 17, 2005 11:17 PM
I have this spot in front of my house, it gets absolutely NO sun during the day, whatsoever.
The spot is the first thing everyone sees when they come to my house, and it is SO ugly and bare! What would grow good there? I have some wizard coleus that needs a home, would it do okay?
Also, I have seen some really pretty rose begonia at a garden center, I wonder if that could be an option?

I am a new gardener, any suggestions appreciated!
by phoenix on May 17, 2005 11:42 PM
[wayey] NEW GARDENER
HERE IS A LINK THAT SHOULD HELP YOU OUT

web page

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by tkhooper on May 18, 2005 12:42 AM
begonia's are full sun plants.

Lentil roses will grow in very deep shade conditions and they bloom in winter.
by Fernie on May 18, 2005 12:45 AM
hostas
bleeding hearts
astilbe

are all shade lovers that I have planted and are doing well.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Katb on May 20, 2005 09:13 PM
I have a shade garden out back where we cook out I have 3 beds & an antique metal tubs I grew nonstop rose begonias I had red, pink, white, yellow, & orange they were magnifencent they done great in the shade I even save the bulbs to replant this spring I also have bleedinghearts & one of my favorites is fernleaf bleedinghearts they come in red, pink, & white & not only is the folage very pretty but they start blooming as soon as they peep up out of the ground very earley in spring & bloom till frost I also have toadlilys & astilble & hosta I love my shade garden thats where I relax .all these plants are great. oh I cant forget my elephant ears. [kitty]
by new-gardener on May 21, 2005 03:55 AM
Awesome!! Thanks for all of the suggestions [Wink] Now I have lots of motivation and inspiration!!!
Another question for Coleus owners:
Where is the best place for them? Do they need a litte sun, or none at all?

I am a new gardener, any suggestions appreciated!
by tkhooper on May 21, 2005 12:17 PM
Watch your coleus carefully at 50 degrees they will die. We are still getting some cold nights here. They will give better color and more compact plants if they get a little sun.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: A frog, a dog and a lil' baby hog| Next thread: A Funky Tomato »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: