The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

A Funky Tomato

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: A full-shade garden?| Next thread: a good book? »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on September 29, 2006 11:39 PM
What is going on with my tomatoes? [Frown] [shocked] All my Roma II plants are briming with green tomatoes. Some of the tomatoes (both large ones and small) look like this.
 -

There are more pictures in my album of this odd-ball tomato. What the heck is going on? We've had cooler temps and I've been watering regularly. No frost, or near-frost in the area. Only about 2-3 tomatoes on each plant (ranging from probably 30 to 10 tomatoes per plant) are affected by this. Is it a fungus, bacteria? Is the entire plant affected?

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by johnCT on September 30, 2006 03:20 AM
Looks like it could be spotted wilt virus Sarah.

http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/h-242.html

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on September 30, 2006 05:47 AM
Thanks John, but Papito sent me this great link to a tomato troubleshooting page which was very helpful. I think it might just be that bacterial speck coming back from earlier this season. Not that we've had any rain, or that I use a sprinkler to spread the stuff, but, who am I to argue? I went ahead and pulled 2 of my smaller tomatoes, to help improve air circulation around my larger toms. I also removed any and all "infected" foliage--again. I called my local extension office and the lady I spoke with said that no matter what I do, I'll never be able to get rid of the speck because it is so "thick" in the area!! Lucky me!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: A full-shade garden?| Next thread: a good book? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: