The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mr. Mocky: Up Close and Personal

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Mow Strips?| Next thread: Mr. Monkey »
Back to Thread index
by Thornius on February 24, 2006 06:34 AM
A multi-year, ongoing experiment about the development of trust, friendship, and understanding, between members of GREATLY differing species is shown by this photograph I took from less than 2 feet (66 cm.) away from my friend Northern Mockingbird, Mr. Mocky. His mate was also within 3 feet of me at the time. Over the years he has become more and more friendly and trusting of me and absolutely seems to LOVE the sound of my voice. I feel he actually knows that I am the one who brings him food and treats, and that I mean him no harm whatsoever. I look forward to the day that he (or his descendants) eat from my hand and/or come to me for pets, scritches, and grooming.

Mr. Mocky: Up Close and Personal
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by weezie13 on February 24, 2006 07:45 AM
That is a GREAT SHOT!!!
What were you saying' to him for him to
listen sooooooo intently?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by loz on February 24, 2006 08:31 AM
That is a really nice shot! [thumb]

quote:
What were you saying' to him for him to
listen sooooooo intently?????

This is a really stupid question and I'm probably gonna get laughed at....but here goes...

How do birds hear? [dunno] Do they have little ears of some sort somewhere?????

Okay, quit laughing now [Big Grin] .....I'm serious.
by Thornius on February 24, 2006 08:43 AM
That slighlty grayer patch just to the left of his eye is the ear. Birds do have ears just no external flaps. I was saying to him, "Hi! Mr. Mocky. I see you got the little lady with you today. Sorry I don't have any suet, peanut butter or apples but you're welcome to all the seeds and water you want and I'll try to get some suet and treats next week when I get paid. It's good to see you all and I want to thank you for the GREAT job you're doing keeping the Starlings out of the yard. I am also so glad you let me take your picture all the time. People all over the world look at you every day and long after you are gone they will still be able to see you." or something like that.

-
 -
by loz on February 24, 2006 08:49 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] That was a lot to say huh?

Hey, I'm glad I asked that question! [thumb] I mean I knew they could hear because mockingbirds mock you...and parrots copy you....I just never thought about where their "ears" so to speak were at...never even crossed my mind before until Weezie asked that question.

Are they bullies in your yard? I read in my bird book the other day that they can chase birds away from your feeders. I had a few here last year but didn't notice them doing that.
by Thornius on February 24, 2006 09:08 AM
They CONSTANTLY chase away any and ALL Starlings that come within eyesight of my yard, but COMPLETELY ignore the other birds and happily eat side by side with them.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on February 24, 2006 10:21 AM
quote:
I look forward to the day that he (or his descendants) eat from my hand and/or come to me for pets, scritches, and grooming.

Hi Thorny [wavey]
Do you actually get birds to eat out of your hand? I've gotten squirrels to eat out of my hand but never even thought about trying with birds! Sure would be neat to see!!!

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on February 24, 2006 10:40 AM
Birds actually have pretty big ears...bigger than you'd expect.
I can see Lola's ears real good after a shower when she is wet.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on February 24, 2006 10:42 AM
It's so weird that I never thought about a bird having ears before.....even though I knew they could hear... [Big Grin]

Do you have to clean out her ears or anything Cindy?
by Thornius on February 24, 2006 10:46 AM
Many people get birds to eat out of their hands. i have NEVER had a bird eat out of my hand (except for ducks, geese, pigeons, gulls, and chickens) but hope to get to some day. Mr. Mocky and his family are the most likely subjects to eventually do so. A woman in my town has a Northern Mockingbird that swoops down and lands on her arm and starts eating the food she is carrying to her feeders, so why not ME?

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 24, 2006 10:48 AM
Bills' got a couple pictures of birds eating
out of his hand..
And we had another member Joann/JC2weho aka Hollywood, she had a bluebird eat out of her hand too!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on February 24, 2006 10:51 AM
quote:
Do you have to clean out her ears or anything Cindy?

[shocked]
No, thank God!
Lola keeps herself very clean, she doesn't need me for that.
Parrots don't use Q-Tips..... [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on February 24, 2006 10:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Bills' got a couple pictures of birds eating
out of his hand..
And we had another member Joann/JC2weho aka Hollywood, she had a bluebird eat out of her hand too!

I have all those pictures saved, and Hollywood's are still in her Webshots album.

I'm quite sure Whiskey Man would eat out of my hand if I'd let him, but I don't like to touch other birds because of bringing germs back to Lola. I would LOVE to hold Whiskey Man...he is HUGE now! [grin]

-
 -
 -
by MissJamie on February 24, 2006 11:54 AM
wow that is an excellent shot thorny! thank you so so much for sharing all your wealth of pics and info on birdies!! I can't wait to have a bird eat out of my hand [Smile]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Mow Strips?| Next thread: Mr. Monkey »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: