The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato bisque

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Tomato and Pepper Help| Next thread: Tomato Bisque »
Back to Thread index
by Bestofour on October 17, 2005 09:01 AM
I ate at The Brick in Milledgeville, GA this weekend and had the best tomato soup ever. The menu called it Tomato Soup, but it was a thick bisque. Does anyone have a recipe? It tasted like it had parmesean cheese (maybe) and cream. It was a shade of pink rather than red.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by afgreyparrot on October 17, 2005 10:41 PM
Sheri...have you ever used evaporated milk or half and half in Campbell's tomato soup instead of water? And add some cheese.... [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by ChristinaC on October 18, 2005 06:50 AM
This recipe is rather time consuming...but it sure is delicious!!!

Cream of Roasted Tomato

1 1/2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup tomato paste
Sugar to taste, if needed
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (of course use more if you wish)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and lay them cut sides down in a jelly-roll pan. Brush generously with 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with garlic, oregano, basil, and pepper. Roast tomatoes until their edges are charred, about 15 to 20. Scrape tomatoes, oil, and herbs from pan into food processor. Process until not quite smooth (leaving small chunks and charred black specks).
In a saucepan cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until translucent. Whisk in roasted tomato puree, broth, and wine. Then whisk tomato paste. Heat the cream and whisk in to the tomato mixture. Taste and add sugar if necessary. Stir in Parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring soup to a simmer.

-
 -
by Bestofour on October 18, 2005 08:44 AM
Thanks. That is time consuming but I'll bet it's delicious. I'll try it.

-
 -
by Bestofour on October 24, 2005 04:33 AM
I made my soup today combining your recipe with another one and I loved it. Thanks.

-
 -
by newgardner on November 03, 2005 11:22 PM
I love Tomato Bisque, nothing like it on a cold rainy day with a good book or good TV show on. but from the looks at the one recipe that was provided, it does look as thou it is time consuming. I know that Kraft Kitchens has a wonderful easy Tomato Bisque. Also try Recipes.com they seem to provide thousands of recipes for things you want.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomato and Pepper Help| Next thread: Tomato Bisque »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: