The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato type

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Muskrat on June 18, 2006 09:00 AM
I bought two tomato plants at the market, they are growing beautifully, but I am curious about what kind of tomato they are, I forgot to ask. Is there a way to tell from the way the plant grows, the leaves, the flowers etc? The plants are about 2-2.5 feet tall, thick stalks and quite leafy. I have cut back a lot of the leaves as there are now tomatoes on it which are still small and green (about the size of cherry tomatoes presently).
by peppereater on June 18, 2006 09:55 AM
It would be almost impossible to tell what kind of tomatoes you have until you get fruit. Some people who've grown dozens of varieties might be able to tell whether a certain plant will be a cherry type, a beefsteak or something in between by the growth habit and arrangement of blossoms. I have a number of varieties in my garden, and I didn't get every plant labeled. I've been able to get a pretty good idea of what the unlabeled ones are by comparing leaves to the labeled ones. You'll probably have to wait until you get fruit and then post pics of the plants and fruits both to get a completely correct ID, but more likely you'll get a variety of "possible" answers.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Muskrat on June 18, 2006 10:06 AM
Thanks, that is what I figured. Oh well. They will still taste good. [grin]
by peppereater on June 18, 2006 10:13 AM
Try to post some pics when they get ripe! [thumb]

-
Dave
by johnCT on June 20, 2006 12:49 AM
Can you post a picture of the plant? Also, why are you removing leaves?

John - Zone 6
by Muskrat on June 20, 2006 06:45 AM
My mom always removes extra leaves/branches so that more energy goes into the tomatoes themselves instead of making beautiful leaves. It works for her, and has worked for me the past couple of years.
I will post pictures later...
[wavey]
by johnCT on June 20, 2006 07:07 AM
Where do you think the energy for the plant comes from? The leaves are where the photosynthesis occurs.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on June 20, 2006 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm with John, don't remove leaves that aren't infected. i missed that on my first read. Leaves not only provide energy, they protect fruit from sunscald, which can ruin the fruit. Now, removing some blossoms or early fruit, that's an issue some could argue...I say leave well enough alone, and enjoy.

-
Dave

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: