The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Manure Tea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Manure| Next thread: many little black bugs on tomato plant »
Back to Thread index
by Oldmike on June 03, 2006 12:15 AM
We raise sheep and after the shearer leaves we separate out the wool that has any manure imbedded in it. We then put the "dirty wool" into a wash tub and fill with water and let it set steep in the sun for several days or weeks depending on how busy we are. We scoop out the wool and have this nice manure tea left. My question is how much do I need to dilute the tea before putting it on my plants? I don't want to burn them but I've not seen anyone else with instructions. Does anyone out there use a manure tea?
by Longy on June 03, 2006 07:27 AM
I'd try it and see oldmike. MAybe try a cupful to a bucket of water, then 2 cupsfull. I wouldn't get above 10:1 i don't reckon. Small doses frequently would be better than a big hit all at once.

-
The secret is the soil.
by PAR_Gardener on June 07, 2006 03:34 PM
Oldmike,

As far as a general rule of thumb goes, dilute compost tea until it is slightly lighter in color than ice tea.

If the only liquid your plants are getting is the compost tea, then you may need to worry about burning your plants, but if you are supplementing your watering with compost tea (every other watering or every 3rd watering), then the other waterings will dilute the compost tea too.

The nice thing about compost is that it's very difficult to burn things with it. Sure you can do it, but you have to use very high concentrations, and since it has so much organic matter, it is practally burn proof. Of course if you let your compost tea reduce to a thick dark liquid, you might burn the leaves if it gets on the plants.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Manure| Next thread: many little black bugs on tomato plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: