The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: PLANTS| Next thread: Plants & Flowers Desktop Wallpaper »
Back to Thread index
by Saved by Grace on March 18, 2006 10:48 AM
I want to start some strawberries, raspberries and blueberries this year, does anyone know of a place to buy organically grown plants?

Thanks
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by peppereater on March 23, 2006 03:23 PM
Victoria...I looked around a bit on the web, but didn't find any sources yet...Seeds of Change has apples and grapes, but not berries...

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Longy on March 24, 2006 01:50 AM
The strawberries grow from runners, the others from cuttings. I'm curious as to what's the difference , at the point of purchase, between organic or chemically produced plants? If you are going to grow them organically, then their previous short lives will be irrelevant from the moment you plant them. (or am i missing something here?)

-
The secret is the soil.
by Saved by Grace on March 24, 2006 06:03 AM
Dave, thanks for checking for me, I did a web search and came up empty, please do let me know if you find anything.

Longy, I want plants that have never been fertilized by chemicals and have not been genetically altered...if the mother plant had been fertilized then the way I see it its not organically grown...hope that clarifies what I want to find...Im not so sure that I will be able to find any plants like that.

Thanks
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by Longy on March 24, 2006 01:05 PM
I get the picture Grace, just wondered what difference it makes if you take a cutting and strike it yourself. Anyway, in that case, may i suggest you find someone who is growing these plants organically, rather than selling established plants, such as a registered organic grower in your locale and find out if you can take cuttings or runners from them. I'm sure they'd be happy to help. You will have to strike the cuttings yourself but the end result will be you'll get what you are after.
I googled "organic berries" and came up with some sites. If you add "your area" to the search, you may come up with some growers who can assist.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: PLANTS| Next thread: Plants & Flowers Desktop Wallpaper »
Back to Thread index