The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gonna try a compost this year...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pagarden on March 17, 2006 09:58 PM
i'm going to try for the first time. i know hubby won't be too happy about it (he likes having a "nice looking" yard and a big rotting pile isn't his idea of pretty! LOL BUT- i am determined. i have wood to make a frame and i still have lots of chicken wire. so that's going to be my project when it warms up a bit. the only thing i'm really concerned about it placement. the only place i can think of to put it is behind the shed. i can get to it easy- the only concern is that it only gets maybe a few hours of sun a day. is that ok? as long as i turn it and add matter correctly should it be ok?
by johnCT on March 18, 2006 12:44 AM
Since when do hubbies have a say in anything? [Big Grin] [lala]

That's fine. A compost pile doesn't need sun and, in fact, its better to be in the shade so it won't dry out as quickly. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on March 18, 2006 01:44 AM
yay! i feel better now, knowing that! thanks! i'll have to post pics when i get going.....
by johnCT on March 18, 2006 02:18 AM
Please do! We love pics. Here's a pic of mine...

-

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on March 18, 2006 02:46 AM
hmm..... i was thinking more of a boxed in type. like just wood for the frame and chicken wire as the "walls" and then no bottom or top. i could turn from the top and when it's all ready i could actually just pick up the whole thing and shovel it out. think that will work or should i really leave 1 side open like you did?
by johnCT on March 18, 2006 03:46 AM
PA you're over-thinking this, lol. Your idea will work fine. It doesn't need to be like anyone else's. Good luck.

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on March 18, 2006 06:18 AM
"you're over-thinking this"

i tend to do that to everything! sort of a downfall of mine- but i am trying to work on it. thanks for all the feedback though. i am sort of excited to start this project! [Smile]
by patches1414 on March 18, 2006 07:49 AM
I made circular bins out of hardward cloth and found it's very difficult to turn. [Frown] I did buy one of those compost aerators and that seems to help a little. However, I'm really considering doing something different next year, but don't know what. [dunno] I've got too many irons in the fire right now to even think about it. [Frown]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: