The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

goldfish plant--starting a new one

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Goldfish plant!| Next thread: gonna try a compost this year... »
Back to Thread index
by connie mounsey on April 14, 2005 12:01 AM
I have one and it is getting kinda leggy looking. It only has a few blooms on it now and I figure maybe it is about to have a rest. It has been just beautiful this winter, loaded with little goldfish. Anyway, what is the best way to make a new plant? I have only ever rooted things out in a glass of water or seperated plants by division and this little plant is not big, but I would like to put some cuttings back in the pot to make it look fuller

Thanks! Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by phoenix on April 14, 2005 12:08 AM
hi connie,
i saw for the first time a goldfish plant at stop and shop i REALLY want one now are they relatively a care free plant or will i need to read up on them? [gabby]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by connie mounsey on April 14, 2005 01:29 PM
I have mine hanging in a west window. It gets lots of light there, but nothing that is direct. I take it down and spray it very well once a week. I bought it because I just loved the little gold fish blooms and I didn't read up on it. Since then I have read that they are picky about some things, but I have found mine to be very easy to care for. I also purchased a lipstick vine at the same time. It wasn't blooming then, but was just covered with blooms. I really loved it's foliage, it is dark green on the top of the leaf with spots and the underside is a dark red color. It has bloomed like crazy for me (now it is not blooming) and I was so disappointed that the blooms were so plain looking and not the pretty red ones on the plant tag! I have read up on those and they are pretty picky too, but I treat it just like the goldfish plant and it seems to be very happy.

Connie

by connie mounsey on April 14, 2005 01:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by connie mounsey:
It wasn't blooming then, but was just covered with blooms.
Duh....still waiting for my coffee to hit my brain...I meant to say that it wasn't blooming then, but this winter it was covered with blooms.

by Dixie Angel on April 14, 2005 02:31 PM
Hey, Connie! I love my goldfish plant. Mine looks a little sparse because it was started off with some cuttings my future MIL gave me. I am planning on just taking some cuttings and sticking them right back in the pot. They were very easy to start when she gave them to me and I figure that it will work this way.

I didn't know how to care for mine when my FMIL gave it to me, but I must have been doing something right. Like you, I find that it is a very easy to care for plant, though everything I have been able to find on it says they are picky. It has survived me, anyway. Can't say that about most plants I have tried. [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Goldfish plant!| Next thread: gonna try a compost this year... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: