The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

avacado

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: avacado| Next thread: avacado a canadiano »
Back to Thread index
by William Stephens on October 12, 2006 12:53 AM
Would like to know if I can grow Avacado trees here in Louisiana?

None
by art on October 12, 2006 06:25 AM
William Stephens,
if you are in zone 9,yes.any where else yes but it would require extra effort.

art
by William Stephens on October 12, 2006 06:39 AM
I am in Zone 8B. WestCentral Louisiana.

None
by papito on October 12, 2006 10:00 PM
So, it is 8B. I agree with Art, some parts of Florida and Louisiana in zone 9 can grow Avocado; it's a maybe in zone 8b.

quote:
Don't know exactly where you are, but here is a map of Louisiana with USDA Hardiness Zone.

http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=LA

When you find out your USDA Zone, please post a reply to your own post to add your USDA Zone/info so that other gardeners can see it. I think you will have a bit of challenge to grow fruiting Avocado in LA.

Welcome to the Gardener's Forum.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by art on October 13, 2006 05:26 AM
William Stephens,
i need to know where you are in order to help you.
zone 8b where? town,city?

art
by art on October 22, 2006 06:36 AM
William Stephens,
15 to 20 degrees will definitly kill an avocado tree.
Your best bet is to plant a dwarf tree in a large pot. you will have to keep it inside during freezing weather
and put it in full sun during warm weather. remember when you bring it out, let it gradually adapt to the
change of environment.inside give it as much lite as possible.it would be nice if you could build a greenhouse for it.it's not going to be easy,but it
can be done.

art
by lilybug on November 06, 2006 05:00 AM
Art,

I'm thinking of growing a dwarf avacado inside, what do you think of the florescent grow lights? I'm in 5 b zone so it'll be indoors most of the time. Is it possible?

Melissa Tomkinson
by art on November 07, 2006 07:22 AM
lilybug,
i believe it can be done,but it won't be eazy.first of all you will need to bring the tree out to sunlight as much as possible.that is when it's not freezing out.you will need to put the tree in as large a pot as possible.the larger the pot the better.the ideal condition would be a green house.
maybe you can put it on wheels and roll it into your garage.but it needs lots of light.maybe those floursecent lights might work but i have no experience with those.i do hope this helps you.if you do it keep the rest of us posted.we may learn something. best of luck.

art

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: avacado| Next thread: avacado a canadiano »
Back to Thread index