The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

avacado

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: avacado| Next thread: avacado »
Back to Thread index
by manx on May 24, 2006 11:05 PM
ive just grown an avacado plant indoors from a ripe friut stone.it was doing very well had grown to about 2 feet ,then leaves started going brown and dry ,why is this?thanks.

m.g.bloom
by Triss on May 25, 2006 06:10 AM
Hi there manx. Did you do any clipping of the stem as it grew? In my experience leaves will fall as the plant gets taller and taller. I have done some reading and apparently the avocados do much better if they are trimmed once they hit a foot or so. I have two that I topped off last week and one is already starting to show signs of branching out. They are both healthy so far and doing very well for me. This is, I have to say, the fist real success I have had in growing avocado from seed.

Here is some information that Bill has put together on growing avocados. Maybe it will help some.

Avocado

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Longy on May 25, 2006 07:29 AM
'Burnt' leaf margins on avocados can be caused by a potash deficiency.

-
The secret is the soil.
by art on May 26, 2006 11:52 AM
Manx,
is your avocado in water or soil? when they start getting long and lanky, it's time to cut the top off.
this will let the roots grow stronger so as to feed the folage.if it's in soil take it outside into partial shade and keep it moist, not wet.do not take it outside during freezing weather.by the way if it's 2 feet tall it should be in soil.

art

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: avacado| Next thread: avacado »
Back to Thread index