The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

yellow and green zucchini issue

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Yellow, Pink and Blue| Next thread: yellow beans. »
Back to Thread index
by Tamara from Minnesota on July 30, 2006 03:06 PM
Well I have finally given up on my green zucchini. It is the weirdest thing! I started both yellow (squash) and green zucchini in peat pots this year and planted them out together- 3 hills of green and 2 of yellow. Right from the start or soon thereafter, the yellow did great and the green hardly grew. Now the yellow are huge and have been producing for a few weeks and the green have shrivelled and died. So anything that would bother the green must bother the yellow too wouldn't you think? [dunno] What could cause such disparity?

-
by weezie13 on July 30, 2006 04:47 PM
Here's a quick info sheet, on it,
about BER in Zucchini..
Click here..

We've been discussing this about tomatoes in
some of the other posts too, many have offered some additional info there on those posts too..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Tamara from Minnesota on July 31, 2006 01:11 PM
Couldn't be BER since they never got any fruit. Couldn't be a lack of pollination because they didn't get flowers and the rest of the garden was pollinated. Couldn't be the soil since the yellow right next to them did fine. So is there a disease the yellow are less prone to maybe? This was the first year I grew yellow.

-
by markr on July 31, 2006 01:42 PM
did you dig it up to see if the roots came out of the peat pots?

-
Mark
by weezie13 on July 31, 2006 04:18 PM
Maybe I should back up a bit,
was it the actual plants that didn't grow???
Or the fruits that didn't grow????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Tamara from Minnesota on August 01, 2006 02:40 PM
The plants. They grew a tiny bit but were stunted from the beginning and eventually shrivelled up.

-
by weezie13 on August 01, 2006 02:43 PM
Did you have Japanese Beetles this year???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Tamara from Minnesota on August 02, 2006 11:56 AM
Its possible but I haven't seen any. Oddly enough I don't ever have predator bugs usually but a few grasshoppers. But there must be something that can't effect the yellow squash as much.
Some of the leaves were gone up to the stem and some were nasty looking but there. I'm going to go take photos...

-
by Tamara from Minnesota on August 02, 2006 12:05 PM
Here is a not as bad one and then a really bad one. There were 3 total and one was always a little better.  -
 -
 -
Here is a healthy yellow one right next to the others:
 -
[dunno]

-
by Tamara from Minnesota on August 08, 2006 02:14 PM
I was wondering about what could have nibbled on the zucchini. My peppers are doing bad this year too and it looks like they have been eaten on. Right at the connection some stalks are just gone. And the zucchini too have some places where the stalk looks cut off and the leaf is gone. Yet the pictures look more fungusy than buggy. Maybe there is a disease that yellow zucchini are hybridized against if you know what I mean.

-
by Tamara from Minnesota on August 10, 2006 01:51 PM
Oh found the problem. I noticed my squash had very weak leaves near the ground; they pulled off very easily. So I pulled up the 2 plants and the stem/root was being eaten by worms and was very weak. It just must have affected the zucchini more at first. The squash have been making squash but just this week started to look worse. So the worms are white with black heads. What are they? --- [tears]

-
by johnCT on August 11, 2006 12:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles Tamara. Squash vine borers are the most likely culprits. Difficult to control. Looks like a you've got a bit of powdery mildew as well. You night think about picking up a mild fungicide to treat the foliage with. Curcurbits are very susceptible to PM.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on August 11, 2006 02:21 AM
Tamara,
I just posted a post somewhere's on those pesky critters...
If you do a FORUM SEARCH ON SQUASH VINE BORE.

I gave the one guy instructions on how to do surgery on it, and get that bore out...
and most times, not all, can still save your plant...

if you can't find it, holler.

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Tamara from Minnesota on August 11, 2006 12:51 PM
Yes I sure do have mildew. I spray a rotation spray about once a week; it is a problem. I pulled out my plants but want to find out some info for next year and will do a search. thanks!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Yellow, Pink and Blue| Next thread: yellow beans. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: