The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Blank slate

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Blanda Anemone Bulbs!| Next thread: Bleeding heart »
Back to Thread index
by lotekrockets on May 22, 2004 01:43 AM
Moving into my first home, will be my first yard and it's pretty much a blank slate. I need some advice on what to plant. My home faces south, and yard is square. There is not much shade as this is a new development. The yard doesn't seem to drain very well, so I need to plant something that can stand having it's feet wet. Yard is on automatic sprinklers. There is a eight foot white cinder block wall behind the home that screens the road, I'd really like to screen it out with something that will cover it all year. We would like some low maintenance shade trees that won't be susceptable to any of the boring insects or other diseases plaguing the U.S. (I.E. japanese boring beetle). We love hummingbirds, and would like to attract some of those. We love songbirds also, and have several feeders. We have a cat (declawed!) but no dog. Kids are 12 and 15. I travel a lot, and am a weekend gardener.

Thanks for any suggestions, and please let me know if there's any more information you might need.

John Gordon
by lotekrockets on May 22, 2004 01:52 AM
Oops forgot to tell you I'm zone 8b at my new home in Guyton, Ga.
by Nan D on May 22, 2004 02:27 AM
Welcome to the board John! I can't help you with plants for your area, I'm in Michigan,zone 5, but I'm sure others here will have some great ideas.

Nan
http://community.webshots.com/user/nan1065
by gardenmom32210 on May 22, 2004 05:08 AM
I'm right on the line between 8&9. Some plants that attract hummingbirds around here are hummingbird vines,cardinal flower,aloe vera,lantana,butterfly bush,salvia and canna lillies just to name a few. Some pretty trees and shrubs that attract songbirds are dogwood,crabapple,beautyberry bush and viburnum. Congratulations on the new home and yard. [muggs]

Karen [grin]
by sibyl on May 22, 2004 06:08 AM
hi jonh,
not shure bout what all trees, or shrubsyet but i got a list of flowers {perennials} that like wet feet for ya,,,
jack-in-the-pulpit,for zones 3-9, part to full shade,spring flowers
siberian bugloss, for zones 3-8, partial-full shade,early spring bloom
white turtlehead, for zones 3-8, full sun to part shade, late summer to fall bloom.
spotted joe-pye weed, for zones 2-8 full sun to part shade, mid to late summer bloom.
queen-of-the-prairie, for zones 3-9, full sun to part shade, late spring to early summer bloom.
sweet woodruff, for zones 3-9, part sun to part shade, spring bloom.
siberian iris, for zones 3-9, full sun to part shade, summer bloom.
big-leaved ligularia, for zones 3-8, part shade,late summer bloom.
cardinal flower, for zones 2-9, full sun to part shade, late summer to fall bloom.
yellow loosestrife, for zones 4-8, full sun to part shade, summer bloom.
bee balm, for zones 4-8, full sun to part shade, summer bloom.
himalayan fleeceflower, for zones 3-8, full sun to part shade, summer bloom.
drumstick primrose, for zones 3-8, light to part shade, early spring bloom.
common spiderwort, for zones 3-9, full sun to part shade, spring to early summer bloom..
hope this helps ya some [Wink] sibyl

-
 -
by sibyl on May 22, 2004 07:30 AM
hi john, its me again sibyl!
you might try going to landscapes trials & triumphs, theres a post for plants for absorbing the most h,2,0, that might help ya,good luck.
[Wink] sibyl

-
 -
by lotekrockets on May 24, 2004 07:19 PM
Thanks for your quick advice and encouragement.

John
by Cricket on May 26, 2004 05:36 AM
Hi John,

I live in zone 8 and a popular evergreen hedge here is laurel - it's fast growing, so although it will cover a large area quickly, it does require pruning so it doesn't take over the whole yard. Also, in the spring, new growth is a beautiful crimson!

Good luck in your new home!

Cricket
by Jiffymouse on June 28, 2004 12:20 AM
[wayey] hi john [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. i am sorry i haven't answered this post before now, but have been working the g8. i too live in guyton, on courthouse road. only i am clearing pines (i am on part of an old tree farm). tell me more of your plans and ideas, maybe i can help as i am native to this zone if not this area.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Blanda Anemone Bulbs!| Next thread: Bleeding heart »
Back to Thread index