The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Broken Glass Candy plus others

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: broken cherry tomato branches| Next thread: Broken jade plant »
Back to Thread index
by Triss on July 25, 2005 11:24 PM
I cannot for the life of me remember who wants it, but my sil didn't make me wait until Christmas to send it to me. This is delicious candy! She sent several others so I just added them as well.

BROKEN GLASS CANDY

Confectioners sugar
3 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups light Karo syrup
1 cup water
Food coloring
1 teaspoon oil flavoring (available at pharmacy in flavors such as cinnamon, anise, wintergreen, spearmint, lime)

Sprinkle confectioners sugar on 2 (15 x 11-inch) cookie sheets.

Combine sugar, Karo syrup and water in heavy saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook, without stirring, until syrup reaches 290 degrees F on candy thermometer.

Remove from heat and add food coloring to desired intensity and the desired oil flavoring. Pour onto cookie sheets, cool and break into small pieces.

Makes 2 1/4 pounds.

OLD-FASHIONED HARD CANDY

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon oil flavoring*
Food coloring as desired
Confectioners' sugar

* Oil flavoring can be purchased at drugstore or baking supply shop.

Mix sugar, water and syrup until sugar is dissolved. Boil on medium heat to 300 degrees F or hard ball stage.

Remove from heat. Add flavoring and food coloring and mix well. Odor will be extremely strong at this time, so prepare in well-ventilated kitchen. Pour in streams onto cookie sheet which has been very generously covered with confectioners' sugar. Make little ditches of confectioners' sugar so the candy does not spread too much. Sift more confectioners' sugar on top of candy streams. Cut with scissors into bite-size pieces as it begins to cool and outer edge will hold its shape. Do not wait until it is completely cooled, because it becomes hard and impossible to cut.

Yields 1 pound.

BUTTERSCOTCH CANDY

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put sugar, corn syrup, water and salt into saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat and cook until thermometer registers 250 degrees F, firm ball stage. Add butter; cook with occasional stirring until thermometer registers 300 degrees F (brittle stage). Remove from stove; add vanilla extract; pour into buttered shallow pan, making a layer 1/4 inch deep. While warm, crease into squares with a blunt knife. When cold, break into pieces.

OLD-FASHIONED BUTTERSCOTCH

2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup water
Pinch of cream of tartar
6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place sugar in a saucepan; add cream and water, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add a pinch of cream of tartar, place over medium heat and boil the mixture very slowly until it reaches the soft-ball stage — 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Add the butter and boil the mixture until it reaches the soft-crack stage — 280 degrees F on a candy thermometer.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Pour mixture into a deep, buttered 7-inch square pan. When the butterscotch is nearly cold, use the point of a buttered or oiled knife to mark it into bars or squares. When the butterscotch is quite cold and set. Break it up, wrap each piece in wax paper, and keep the candy in an airtight container.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tkhooper on July 25, 2005 11:32 PM
Thanks for the recipes Triss looking forward to some of those this fall. I always want to me making things in the kitchen in the fall. Wonder what that's all about.
by Triss on July 25, 2005 11:37 PM
I am with ya there TK, I love baking in the fall and winter. This year I am going to take a page out of Nana's book and freeze, freeze, freeze. Then I will have stuff for next summer!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: broken cherry tomato branches| Next thread: Broken jade plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: