The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Squash fruit problems

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: squash and pine needles...| Next thread: Squash Issues »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on July 01, 2006 06:20 AM
Hi need some help. [scaredy]

I have some great squash plants that are growing well with some fruit on all the vines.

My problem is I'll have 1 or 2 beautiful squash growing then one that started and now looks like its dying off on the same vine as the healthy one. It looks wrinkled and is soft to the touch where as the ones that look healthy are hard and firm. Also the stem where it is attached to is yellow. [tears] [tears]

Can someone help me? Am I watering too much? [dunno]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by johnCT on July 01, 2006 06:22 AM
Possible lack of pollination? [dunno]

John - Zone 6
by Rosepetal on July 01, 2006 06:27 AM
Do you still need the pollination to be on the go once the fruit is there? [thinker]

I know I do have pollination problems, but why this problem with the fruit already started? [dunno]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by LandOfOz on July 01, 2006 06:35 AM
Maybe it was just badly pollinated? How big are we talking here, did your squash just grow an inch or so? If improperly pollinated the buds may swell then die off. My pumpkins have one pumpkin, then other little baby pumpkins will form, swell a little (to maybe golfball size) then yellow and fall off. I just assumed that the plant could only support the one fruit. Maybe your squash isn't having all it's needs met or isn't mature enough yet to support many fruit.

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Rosepetal on July 01, 2006 06:48 AM
Sarah,

That's what I'm seeing on my squash, the first fruit is about 4" big already and the little ones 1" or a bit more. Some turn green like the big ones others are a pale yellow and soft.

Do you let the fruit fall off by itself or should I take them off as I see that they're not growing well? It's very easy to see which are the healthy ones.

-
 -
by elkwc36 on July 01, 2006 11:57 AM
I've had the same problem some with some as big as 4". They just start shriveling up. I've seen this before some and usually it takes care of itself. I remove them when then start dieing. Mine as loaded so a few lost is no big loss. JD
by LandOfOz on July 01, 2006 12:28 PM
When I notice that the fruit is definately dying I'll pick it off. That way I know, for sure, the plant isn't wasting energy on attempting to revive the fruit.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Rosepetal on July 02, 2006 11:14 AM
Great idea! I've seen a few bees lately so I'm hoping all will be ok in a while.

-
 -
by Greenthumb newbee on July 04, 2006 04:04 PM
Need bees???? I have 4 types in my garden at any given time. Carpenter bees, honey bees, bumble bees and yellow jackets.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: squash and pine needles...| Next thread: Squash Issues »
Back to Thread index