The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How do you grow a mango tree from seed?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by mike57 on May 05, 2005 09:36 AM
HI [wayey] all has anyone ever grown a mango tree from seed?i am trying to find imformation on how to grow one.anyone have any imformation that might help me get one started.thanks your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Dixie Angel on May 05, 2005 03:23 PM
Hey, Mike! I don't have any information to offer on the mango, but I wanted to tell you that you were missed. It's good to see you back and posting!

Dianna

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 05, 2005 04:09 PM
Hi Mike ~

I do know that the real seed is inside what looks like the seed. You need to let it dry out a bit, and then crack it open along the sides. The seed is inside, and a bit softer. I was able to get one to germinate recently, but it must have been too wet because it rotted and died before the first leaf grew out.

Good luck!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by mike57 on May 06, 2005 04:29 PM
HI [wayey] THANKS for the welcome back. i have been working in my flower beds a lot the past week so i havnt been on much.and thanks for the imformation on the mango seed.guess i will give it a try keeping my fingers n toes crossed [Big Grin] i am gonna try and grow a few just in case some dont make it.i know i will have to grow it in a pot as they dont tolarate the winter weather that way i can bring it in during the winter mounths.thanks again your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
by tkhooper on May 06, 2005 05:25 PM
Good Luck Mike,

I don't think I have ever had a mango. And I have definitely never grown any kind of fruit. Well unless you count the tomato.

-
 -
by Kurlie77 on May 06, 2005 11:24 PM
Do you think I could grow a mango tree in Maine, if I put it in a pot maybe? I love mangos! Yum!!!
by PAR_Gardener on May 13, 2005 12:03 AM
Mike,

I've tried accidently and on purpose, but without success. I eat a lot of mango, and I compost everything, so the mango pits ended up in the compost pile. I was not as experienced at composting at the time, so I was attempting to hot compost, but essentially I was cold composting. Anyway, I was out turning the pile one day, and I spotted this whip growing out of the corner of the compost pile. I thought it was a weed, so I went to pull it, and a mango pit came along with it. I tried to pot it up, but it just ended up dying.

Since then, I've planted the pits from the sweetest Haydens. I did get one or two to sprout, but they eventually faded and died. I don't know if I overwatered, underwatered, underfertilized or if the soil or air temps were too cold. I was so disappointed that I couldn't keep the plants alive. [dunno]

I've looked on-line also, and I came across a site that encouraged people to grow mangos from seed, but they had no instructions. I'll keep looking, and if you find anything please let me know.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by papito on May 13, 2005 04:52 PM
Please try this link:

How to start Mango, Papaya & Guava Seeds

I have several two-year old mangoes grown from seeds in containers . Grafted trees will begin bearing in 2 to 3 years. Seedlings take 4 to 5 years. The best areas to grow mangoes are in Hawaii and the southern parts of California and Florida. I had a 5-y.o. mango tree and a 2-y.o. papaya tree that were killed by frost 2 years ago.

As for guava, I have ten [10-y.o.] Feijoa [fay-HOE-uh]sellowiana [pineapple guava] planted in half-wine barrels. They are all blooming right now.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by mike57 on May 13, 2005 05:18 PM
HI [wayey] papito thanks for the link its just what i was looking for [thumb] .gonna wait till next mounth to try it so it will be nice and hot out side.thanks again.your friend in gardening mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
by PAR_Gardener on May 14, 2005 01:42 AM
Papito, thanks for the link. Where did you get your guava seeds from? I can't find guava fruit here in Illinois, but I'd be interested in trying to grow guava.

by PAR_Gardener on May 14, 2005 08:02 AM
Nevermind. I found the seeds on the same site.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: