The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomatoe leaves turning yellow

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomatoe Blossoms| Next thread: tomatoe plants »
Back to Thread index
by EvelynsFlowerbaby on June 21, 2006 02:57 PM
I have 3 cherry tomato plants there pretty big with little cherrys on them but the leaves on the bottom branches are turning yellow. what is wrong with my plants and what do I do about it?

Rachel Roberts
www.myhorseteddybear.com
www.petticoatpets.com
by Danno on June 21, 2006 03:33 PM
over watering? Are you feeding ferts? Hows your soils?
by JV on June 21, 2006 07:13 PM
EvelynsFlowerbaby how often and when do you water? I water after dark or before sunrise to not scald the plant also need to water same way and time all the time. Tomato's like same schedule all the time. This Texas heat and humidity will do a plant in fast if your not careful. Also like Danno said your soil and fertilizer has a lot to do with the leave turning but I would almost bet it's the watering. Been wrong before though. I water like I stated and mine and doing fine no leaves turning or anything just giving away tomato's.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Shawn M on June 21, 2006 10:12 PM
Hi Rachel,

I occasionally get some leaves on my cherry tomatoes that will turn yellow. I just cut them off with some garden shears and don't worry about it. Mine have tons of fruit (still green) so I wouldn't worry too much unless a bunch of leaves are turning yellow.

I've read a bunch about watering during the day and causing scalding and from what I've read it does not cause scalding. I usually water in the evenings, but if my plants look like they are hating life I will water in the late afternoon when I get home. I haven't noticed a difference...if they are thirsty give 'em something to drink.

Good luck,

Shawn
by ChristinaC on June 22, 2006 12:03 AM
It's common for the bottom leaves (the more mature leaves) to yellow. I too just cut mine off. I don't even worry about it.

-
 -
by johnCT on June 22, 2006 01:49 AM
Sounds like the beginnings of disease. The older leaves are always the first to be affected like Christina says. You could pick them off. Are the plants mulched? How do you water them? How do you fertilize?

John - Zone 6
by Sorellina on June 22, 2006 03:39 AM
Ciao all,

When I transplant my seedlings, I put down a thick 4" layer of straw mulch on top of the soaker hose I've snaked around all of my plants. After my plants are about 2' tall, I prune all of the bottom leaves off the plants until there are no leaves touching the straw. This keeps water and even heavy dew from getting on the leaves and contributing to disease. Soil can splash back up onto the leaves along with rain water or even water from a soaker hose and little soil-borne nasties like viruses and fungi can do a number on your plants. Sometimes, with certain varieties that have long droopy leaves (Opalka is notorious for this), I have to do a second pruning, but most times, the initial job takes care of any yellowing issues until late in the season. By that time, I've gotten a huge harvest and if my plants decide to die then, I figure it's just their time.

Cheers and best wishes,
Julianna

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomatoe Blossoms| Next thread: tomatoe plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: