The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crusty fungus film on soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Crows digging up Lawn| Next thread: cryptanthus »
Back to Thread index
by nasturnium on June 06, 2005 06:13 AM
in one of my gardens, I have encountered a problem with one spot that gets a crusty film of fungus on top of the soil. Surprisingly, my cone flowers are coming back, but this started before I planted these in this spot and I thought I had gotten rid of it. The only thing that had been growing there previously were Irises, but there is a dead(?) tree stump underneath the ground in that area also...

I'm afraid that my soil is unhealthy and that could be the reason that some other bushes aren't coming back this year in the general area, although other plants and a bush are thriving.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks!
by Longy on June 06, 2005 02:44 PM
Hey nasturnium, fungi are just one of natures ways of breaking down organic matter. Don't be too concerned. It's probably to do with the tree stump breaking down. If the coneflower are doing their thing then it's all good i'd say. The other plants not coming back are probably just late starters or maybe have a totally unrelated problem. Maybe lightly cultivate the soil over the fungus to get some oxygen into the soil there if it being there bothers you.

-
The secret is the soil.
by nasturnium on June 07, 2005 07:38 AM
thank you Longy, that is a relief. [Embarrassed] )

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Crows digging up Lawn| Next thread: cryptanthus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: