The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Does anyone know .........?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 15, 2006 04:02 PM
Does anyone know how to pollinate watermelons.
This seems to be my problem.
Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by johnCT on June 16, 2006 12:53 AM
Watermelons are just like other curcurbits Nicky. They produce male and female flowers which normally get pollinated by bees and other insects, but which can easily be manually pollinated by pulling the male flower off the plant, remove the petals and then swab the pistil on all of the female stamens. If it works, you will notice the small fruit behind the female flower continue to grow over the next few days rather than shriveling up and dying. There's nothing to it.

John - Zone 6
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 16, 2006 03:08 AM
Thank you John I did not know that.
I figured I had to run out and buy something to help it.
Thank you Very much,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by Marina on June 16, 2006 03:15 AM
Sorry to hijjak this thread a teeeny bit...but my question is on the same topic. I have 1 watemelon plant left with what looks like a teeny watermelon, how do I know if its been pollinated and will grow? Its the only one on the vine...

-
by johnCT on June 16, 2006 04:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Marina:
Sorry to hijjak this thread a teeeny bit...but my question is on the same topic. I have 1 watemelon plant left with what looks like a teeny watermelon, how do I know if its been pollinated and will grow? Its the only one on the vine...
Marina, that's definitely a female flower. The only real way to tell it's got a "bun in the oven" is to wait. It will start to grow quickly if it did, and if it didn't it will start to shrivel and deform.

John - Zone 6
by Marina on June 16, 2006 04:01 AM
Thanks John... I will cross my fingers... its the only one thats developed at all. The rest didn't take or were destroyed.

Active Garden Forum