The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Wascally Wabbits

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: wanted: rose for arbour/arch great climber| Next thread: wasp »
Back to Thread index
by Huntington on September 22, 2005 10:27 AM
Hi All--Been away for a while. Forum members have graciously solved all of the gardening problems I've posted here. Thanx for past help!
Today I have a new one and hope somebody can suggest a humane solution. My garden has been adopted by rabbits. Two big, one small (undoubtedly there are or will be many more). Not too pesty, but of late they have been rolling back my newly fertilized lawn to nibble at grass roots. Looking for a way to discourage them short of buckshot.
Any Suggestion?

"Keep on the sunny side of life"

Huntington
by weezie13 on September 22, 2005 11:41 PM
Hello Huntington,
What's new???

I was going to let you know,
I was going to move your post into
PLANT PESTS AND PROBLEMS.....
I think you'll end up with a better
response to your question, down into
there...

My suggestion would be to find something
called fox urine or preditor urine..
and sprinkle/spray it around...
Supposedly, because foxes are their preditors,
and they smell that smell, they leave???
***I haven't tried it, cause I've got like one rabbit.. *and he leaves me tons of droppings,
and what he eats I don't mind I guess.. ***

Also, maybe somekind of pepper spray *cayenne*
or garlic too maybe [dunno]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 24, 2005 09:32 PM
Live trap! they are super easy to catch.

-
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 24, 2005 09:33 PM
P.S. keep away from your dog, cat- they have fleas.

-
by The Plant Doc on September 26, 2005 07:32 PM
Huntington

While you may have wabbits, they may not be the actual pests doing the damage to your lawn. I have never heard of rabbits, going after lawn roots before. What does tend to do that are raccoons, and skunks in search of grubs. So if it were I doing the live trapping, I think I would want to be pretty dang sure it was not a polecat 1st.

As far as the predator urine goes, I happen to think that stuff is a major gimmick. You have one side of the fence who says using the stuff will scare away animals, and you have the other side who uses it as a cover scent while hunting them.

If it is a critter in search of grubs it is pretty easy to identify that, that is the actual problem, just go out and grab a hold of the grass and try to lift it up. If it comes up like a carpet, then it is a pretty good guess that the grubs are what you are really battling.

Hope this helps

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 27, 2005 05:47 AM
Nothing got rid of the rabbits in my garden. I tried the garlic, pepper, moth balls, shake away, cat hair, coffee grounds, etc etc and then the fox urine, and the things would just sit right on all of it. But then suddenly they disappeared for the year. I do think they will be back next year and I plan on an electric fence. Otherwise a loose pet dog would scare them away. Or where we used to live the neighbor had a cat that would hunt and kill rabbits and my garden was safe!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wanted: rose for arbour/arch great climber| Next thread: wasp »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: