The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cages/Stakes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: cactus won't root| Next thread: Cajun Boiled Peanuts »
Back to Thread index
by Mitzi on June 09, 2006 07:14 AM
Which of the following need to be caged/staked?

Serrano Chili Peppers, Clemson Spineless Okra, California Black Eyed Peas (Cow Peas), Marketmore 76 Cucumbers, Black Beauty Zucchini Squash, and Waltham Butternut Squash

Some of my seed packs advise on staking/caging, but I wanted to double check the above items. I have also heard of laying ceramic tiles under and around squash to prevent the squash from lying in the soil. Is this true? If so, does the tile theory apply to any of the other above mentioned veggies/fruits?

[No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt]
by Longy on June 09, 2006 07:29 AM
The black Zuchs don't require staking or gaging Mitzi. Nor do the butternut squash. I doubt the chillis do either. Cucumber will grow rambling on the ground or up a trellis. Your choice.

Laying the tiles, or anything else under fruit which sits on the ground is a good idea. Esp if it has a long development period like pumpkin. It helps prevent critters and moulds etc from attacking the skin and it allows the skin to stay drained and dry. You may need to do it with the butternut. Cucumbers, though they grow on the ground, grow so fast they don't really require protection.

-
The secret is the soil.
by DeepCreekLake on June 09, 2006 01:11 PM
I would consider using a stake (maybe a bamboo type) on the serrano, they have the tendacy to grow thinner than most chilis, plus will give extra support when the peppers start coming out
by JV on June 13, 2006 01:09 PM
Mitzi I have never caged any of my chilis. For the most part mine are hadry enough to support themselves. Not saying I wouldn't if I thought they needed it. My Thai Chili is about 4 foot tall in a pot as is my Carribean Chili both are big strong plants . My Jalapeno's and Pequine (sp)Serrano's and Tobascco are pretty good size but don't require cages or staking. Your cuke like Longy said will grow up a fence or wire as will some squash but your don't have to be unless you just want to.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Shawn M on June 13, 2006 10:40 PM
Hi Mitzi,

I have been staking my peppers for the past few years. I use some twine loosely tied for support. It has worked pretty good...no broken plants.

This is my first year growing cucumbers, but I am using a homemade tomatoe cage for them. They are about 16 inches tall and are starting to use the cages for support. I'm not sure how big they will get, so I am playing it by ear to see if I will need taller supports or wider and taller for next time.

Shawn
by chenno on June 15, 2006 03:05 AM
This is interesting, I never staked cukes before?
Always just left trail along. maybe I will try that.
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by johnCT on June 15, 2006 03:41 AM
Angie, I trellis my cukes. Keeps them off the ground and makes for easier harvesting and it's easier to spot and kill those darn cuke beetles! [Mad]

John - Zone 6
by chenno on June 15, 2006 03:48 AM
Thanks John

I presume i need a pretty sturdy trellis?

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Mitzi on June 16, 2006 04:49 PM
Would the trellis be good for reducing some of the extremely hot Texas afternoon sun? Or would it offer too much shade?
by cookinmom on June 17, 2006 03:47 AM
I let cukes go up a chainlink fence once. It worked really well. [flower]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Tamara from Minnesota on June 19, 2006 02:08 PM
I always stake cucs. I grow on the Gardener Supply bean tower or grow up sunflower plants (a lot cheaper). I have never staked peppers or zuccini or squash.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cactus won't root| Next thread: Cajun Boiled Peanuts »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: